Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire Gallery model # XXXXX The ice maker

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire Gallery model # XXXXX The ice maker has been making ice but inside the ice bin at the back it freezes causing it not to make anymore ice. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What do you mean by "freezes"? Are the cubes freezing together or do you actually see an iceberg formed by water dripping from the icemaker area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cubes are not freezing together. It is not really an iceberg, it is more like a heavy frost in the back of the ice bin where the (for lack of a better term) metal doohickey spins the auger.<a href=Ice Maker"/>
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So this is excess moisture for some reason. If you remove the back panel and the coils are packed with frost (which they don't look like based on looking through the vents at the bottom), then your unit isn't going into defrost. Assuming that it is defrosting properly, something is causing excess moisture which could be from the defrost cycle stying on too long (if you notice the cubes are melting together), or possibly a door gasket air leak or something like that.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my first time using this service so I am not sure how to rate you and still keep the conversation going. I appreciate your answer, however, how do I check to see if the defrost cycle is staying on too long?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can't check to see if it's staying on too long. You have to go by the symptoms. If the ice is melting together and you're getting frost on the back wall but there isn't a block of frost/ice behind the panel when you remove the back panel, then you need to replace the defrost thermostat because it's letting the defrost stay on too long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I replace the defrost thermostat?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the back panel and there is a 1" round device with 2 wires going to it clipped onto the top of the silver coils. That is your defrost thermostat you need to replace.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I assume you mean the back panel of the ice bin and not of the refrigerator? I will contact you if I have any issues with this.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
correct. The back panel where all the frost is build up is the panel that would need to be removed to see the evaporator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the "continue conversation" link you referred to?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I believe you may have gotten a test version if you don't have a "continue conversation" button. There are a few formats going around right now trying to determine which the customers like best. Either way, what you are doing now is the same thing. You just reply back to continue the conversation just as you are doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get the back panel off? I removed all the screws I could see and it will not budge.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I could not say for certain without being there, but you will need to remove the ice maker because that back panel goes up behind the icemaker. Also, this is a fairly new unit is it not? If it's less than a year old, I'd call warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just over a year old. I already tried and they told tough luck. I have circled the places where I removed and or lossened the screws. Any help would be appricated.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That should be all of them, I'm not sure why it isn't pulling out for you or why it's stuck without being there unfortunately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an FYI. The thermostat was located in the freezer compartment at the bottom not in the ice bin.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ah yes, because the icemaker is located inside the refrigerator compartment that is likely true, but looking at the coils behind that panel is still necessary to make sure they are not completely packed with a block of frost/ice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't say they are completely packed with ice. But there is a layer of frost on the coils and the tubes.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
that's normal. They should be thinly coated in frost from top to bottom. That's good. It means that your refrigerator is definitely defrosting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you still think replacing the thermostat will fix my ice maker problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Possibly. Either that or you have an airleak somehow. So you may want to use 2 sided weather stripping around that back panel and get some perm gum from the the hardware store to seal up any cracks where you think air might be leaking in from the seal or refrigerator compartment into the icemaker compartment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately your suggestion did not fix the issue. It seemed to be working fine but that is probably because as I was installing the new piece the unit had time to thaw. When it starts freezing over the motor starts making a loud "whinig" noise. Here is the link to the youtube video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCjmN5SF6ck
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is a tar behind that back panel wrapped around the copper line just where it enters the evaporator on the top. Cut that tar off and push the freon lines behind the evaporator so that the defrost drips down into the drain pan better. This is actually an update fix that Frigidaire has come up with in the last month for this problem because many units were having this issue.