Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. I have the refrigerator control set at 34 d

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. I have the refrigerator control set at 34 degrees. The digital display says 34 degrees. Is that just saying that because that is what I set it at or is that the actual reading of the temperature of the refrigerator? So, in other words, is that the actual temperature or just the setting temperature? I need to know because our power is out and we are running on a generator so I need to know if my control setting is accurate so that my food is safe.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the readout is what the temp is. this has whats called thermistors in the refrigerator which give real time readouts of the refrigerator and freezer temps. if you feel like this is not correct (like things are warmer then the temp says) then putting a temp thermometer in the refrigerator is a good idea, however the temp shown is the actual temp inside. hope this helps. best wishes and I hope your power is restored soon. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did buy a little metal refrigerator thermometer and that says 40 degrees so I was not sure which was most accurate. The digital display or the bought thermometer. I did then set the temp at 32 but it went back up to 34 so I thought that maybe the digital was reading the actual temp.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
The thing about the little metal thermometers is they can be off as much as 5 degrees or more in some cases. digital thermometers are much more accurate. I'm confident the reading in the refrigerator is more accurate but since you set this to 32 degrees let in run and see if the temp changes, after you set these the digital readout will return to the actual temp in the refrigerator. so this is most likely at 34 degrees.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. You have given me peace of mind, and in this situation I really appreciate it. This is our first encounter with this new refrigerator of a power outage so I never gave this a thought until now. You have been great. Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome. I really hope you get your power back and everything is back to normal for you soon, god bless. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.