Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have water dripping from the lower right side of my Kitchenaid

I have water dripping from the lower right side of my Kitchenaid refrigerator, model # XXXXX which is the opposite of the drip pan.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! Is there a sheet of ice on the freezer floor? Any water under the crispers in the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no ice on floor, the drip pin is 3/4 filled, and I can observe water dripping into the pan which I believe is normal and that the water level in the drip pan should eventually go down due to evaporation, so I am hoping that cleaning the vents below would allow for the fans to draw more air in to help this.

What confuses me is why is water dripping from the opposite of the freezer door (the main fridge door area) when the drip pin does not appear to be leaking. I also ran my fingers along the bottom ridge of the front of the housing so see if water was running from freezer side to the main side, but that appears to be dry too. is there water supply line that would run on the opposite side of the freezer door?

CORRECTION - I just checked and now there is water on the floor at both corners of the fridge door hinges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The drip pan should not be close to being full, ever. Is the filter housing leaking where the water lines go in to it? Is that where the drip is that you see in the pan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what would cause it to fill up? Should I empty it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Usually that is from the water lines that go to the filter housing. Can you see then dripping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will go check...

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me know what you see.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Kelly has opted out This is Bryan, were you able to check the filter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I checked the filter lines, both of them no visible signs of dripping. I also took the lower back panel off to get better visibility, the drip pin is definitely full and whatever residual water seems to leaked onto the refridgerator stainless steel frame which acts as a conduit for bringing the water to the front of the fridge and then the water slowly drips from the below the door hinge area.

In addition, I noticed that my ice maker was blocked up in the dispenser so I removed the blockage and now letting the ice collector defrost fully. But interestingly the water dispense does not work, so no water coming out.

We had loss of power the past 72 hours I was running the fridge for 18 hours at a time, then shutting off at night and then turning it back on after 4-6 hours of not running. Could the on/off of power cause ice to build up in one of the lines then causing excess of seapage somewhere?

I have it off now to let things defrost a bit or should I turn back on and let it run with the lower back panel open?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so the water is on the right side front ? the fresh food section side correct ? its not comming from inside the refrigerator but from underneath ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water is dripping from both sides the fresh food side and also the freezer side, but I think the origin of the water is coming from the inlay frame at the bottom of the frame, it looks like a little trough that is allowing whatever water is leaking to go from back to front and then it drips down by front door hinge area.

So I am trying to look at the water lines to see any drips.

How do I remove the full drip pain? It looks like it requires taking a part one of the water pump housing in back. Or should I attempt to unscrew front plate?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you need to check the plastic water lines underneath, this can be difficult because there may be just a tiny pinhole that is actually spraying a fins mist that you can see. I have found this many times and the eyes cant see it. this would account for the water appearing in different places. the way I do it is take toilet paper or paper towel and place it on the lines sliding it slowly until you feel it getting wet. that when you will find the leak. these are difficult to find. can you try that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the leak, it is in the gray line that runs from the water purifer tube to the water source connection to my main water line.

It looks like a cut caused by the sharp edge of the sheet metal back cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I found the leak, and I order a new supply line (intake) to connect with the water filter housing unit.

How do I remove the old supply line and connect the new one to the filter housing unit?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay these have quick connects. the gray collars you see in the picture of the filter need to be pushed in towards the filter and then pull the line out. very simple. when you install the new line just push it in all the way and then pull back to make sure it is secure. I'm so glad you found the leak ! good job ! please don't forget to accept my answer by rating me 3 or above in the rating system. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.