The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.
12112589

Is there any normal condition in a frostfree refrigerator under

Customer Question

Is there any normal condition in a frostfree refrigerator under which condenser fan and compressor run but the evap fan does not run? How about evap fan runs but cond. fan and compressor are off?

I had a defrost issue. I took apart freezer compt and foundevaporator coils partially plugged with ice. After melting ice with a hair dryer and re-assembling refrig, I bought a new defrost timer and installed it. By next morning, ice cubes were melted, fresh food warm. Evaporator fan was running, but no compressor and no compressor running. When I substituted old defrost timer, I got condenser fan and compressor, but no evap. fan. A night worker, I just walked off and went to sleep 4 hrs. When I got up both fans ran and ice cubes and 1-liter "test bottles in freezer were hard. What happened here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 4 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David.

Customer :

Hello

The Famous Forry :

It sounds to me like the defrost timer had to run its course and then all worked ok again. Often the electronics of these modern refigeration appliances have delays in them, by which if you switch the appliance off for any period of time and then back on again, you have to wait usually about 30 minutes for it to start to run correctly again. I would say this was quite normal.

Customer :

Lots of strangeness regarding fridge. First, having to defrost "frost free" fridge, then having "repair" result in no cooling. Refrigerator is 28 yrs old. Doubt it has any electronics. Why did compressor and condenser fan fail to come with evap fan on all night with new timer? Why, when I plugged i old timer, did the compressor and condenser fan come on immediately, yet evap fan start was delayed? Is new defrost timer defective?

The Famous Forry :

No I would not think defective for one minute, but you could of advanced defrost timer manually when fitted