Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool thin twin washer dryer and the washer fills

I have a whirlpool thin twin washer dryer and the washer fills but will not drain. timer advances but no sound when it should be draining.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you're positive that the timer is advancing to the end of the cycle but it's just not spinning or draining? Or does the timer stop just before the drain and spin and do nothing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am fairly sure it was advancing.The machine does nothing but fill and agitate when I manually advance the dial. It is possible that this machine has been stored through a winter and I dont know if it was drained properly. It has been used very little.

That's not a common issue at all. If that is the case, you'd need to replace your timer behind the main knob on the control panel where you select the cycle.

Now if you go back and test and find that the timer stops advancing just before spin, that means your lid switch has failed and doesn't think the lid it shut. This will stop the washer from going into drain and spin for safety reasons. You would need to replace the lid switch to fix this issue and this is a much more common issue than the timer.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the lack of better details. This machine was just put in a rental house and I just found out it was not working this afternoon. I was told it did not drain and when I went there it did seem the timer was advancing. However I did not know the lid needed to be closed for it to drain and I had the lid open as I manually advanced the timer throug the cyle. Is it possible for me to contact you when I have more info as the unit is 60km. from me.

Yes of course. You can just respond later if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm back finally.... The timer did stop part way through the cycle so it must be the lid switch if this machine has one? The model is YLTE5243DQ3 ,if it has one , where is it located and is it very difficult to replace. Is there any place I can download a service manual or even an exploded parts diagram? I am fairly mechanicaly adept and have replaced timers and switches on other machines before.

Thanks Brenton

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Brenton

You should be able to see a breakdown of your appliance at Partselect.com and the lid switch is just located under the top panel of the washer so the top panel will need to be removed to access and replace the lid switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You very much for the inf. I got the parts and fixed the machine today. Thanks again.

awesome, I'm glad it's all working again!