Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

frigidare self cleaning oven will not unlock even after cooling

Customer Question

frigidare self cleaning oven will not unlock even after cooling 8 hrs.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. If not, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I TRIED THE BREAKER AND TURNING OVEN CLEANER BACK ON. NEED TO WAIT FORNMY SON TO TRY TO MANUALLY OPEN THE DOOR

THERE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THERE IS ROOM FOR A COAT HANGER

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
There is room, you just have to bend the hanger in the shape of an L so that it can slide over top the dor and then twist down behind the door to pull the latch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my door just wont open tried over and over with coat hannger and it just is not working .any other suggestions bedfore i call a repair man

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Depending on your model, you may be able to pull the oven forward and remove the back panel behind the oven. Sometimes the latch is mounted on the back of the oven near the top of the cavity. You may be able to disconnect the long extension lever to the latch if that is where the latch motor assembly is located. Otherwise, you'd need to call a repairman so they can manually unlock it from the front with a coat hanger or something similar.