Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi...we have a Maytag front loader washer which is not working...Mod#MAH9700AWM. Had

Hi...we have a Maytag front loader washer which is not working...Mod#MAH9700AWM.

Had a friend look at it who has made repairs to other machines in past. He thinks it's a bad sensor which unfortunately is housed in the motor...which he said would have to be completely replaced if it was the sensor. He said it was a bad design. Cost would be
$500-600. Unit listed at $1039...not sure what we paid. Not sure if it's worth trying to fix. Got in 2004 but not used last 2yrs as money was tight.

What do you think?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Why do you think it has a bad sensor? What is the washer doing exactly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Our friend said he "thinks" it's a bad sensor.

It goes through the fill cycle, after it stops at full it starts to chime "ding dong"....ding dong...etc and error code "OE" starts to flash. It then drains all water and continues to chime with error code "OE" flashing.

OK so error OE means that the unit doesn't think that the washer is draining all the way. You say that the washer is draining, are you sure it's draining all the water out? This error has absolutely nothing to do with the motor. So if the washer is draining, then it's not not sensing the water level properly and you'll need ot order and replace the water level sensor to fix the issue. Below is a link to the part you need to order.

CLICK HERE

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
I see this question is still open and you haven't rated me, is there anything else I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks....I am in Calif and just got home to see your response. You are saying it's the water sensor and should be replaced. Just to make sure you have the correct info from me....it fills ok and just when it seems full it starts to drain and error coe OE flashes. It continues to drain until it empties completely. The motor never starts or gets to the wash cycle.

I just want to confirm after this info that you still feel it's the water sensor?

Thanks for your prompt previous reply.

Bob Carter

I guess it depends on how long it's taking to drain. It should only take a minute or two to drain the entire tub. If it's taking 5+ minutes, then I'd clean out the drain catch or replace the drain pump because it's not draining fast enough which is why you're getting the OE error code. The drain catch is just behind the little access panel in the lower corner on the front of your washer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.....it drains very fast and all water leaves tub. Is there a way I can get the motor to kick on to see if it still works? We thought the motor may be bad due to what our friend said. Right now it fills and empties immediately and never gets to turning on the motor or anything mechanical....i.e. wash cycle.

Bob

Unfortunately not. If the unit thinks it's not draining, the motor will not turn on, but trust me---this error has absolutely nothing to do with the motor itself. That leaves only the sensor or the control board. And sense you can't test either, I'd go with the sensor since it's much cheaper.