Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Customer Question

my kitchenaid compactor won't stop compacting, that is, it is just running continuously - any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Does it continue to run when going down or coming back up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there doesn't seem to be any going down or coming up, just a constant whirring of the motor

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
I understand, thank you. There is a large gear on the bottom of the compactor, shown as number 10 in the picture, that meshes with the motor gear, shown as number 6. Both of those gears are plastic. I suspect one or both gears are missing teeth and are unable to mesh successfully to drive the ram either up or down. The gears are easily replaced and come in a kit that includes installation instructions. The gears are accessed by pulling the compactor out and laying it on one side and removing the lower access panel. There is a lot of grease under that cover and it is a messy job, so be certain to lay down drop cloths and have plenty of rags available, it is messy! The gear kit you need is pictured and available below. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your response but can't reach mounting screws unless I open the door and the door won't open if the motor is running. Do you have any secret switches I can access from under the foot panel?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
There are no secret switches. You will need to shut the breaker off to stop the motor. If the ram is in the down position, you won't be able to open the drawer because it will keep it from opening. This can be a real predicament if the mounting brackets are not placed to the outside of the drawer front where they are designed to be attached to the underside of the counter.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
I see you rated poorly and am wondering how I may be able to assist you further? I will surely continue to help until you are able to get your compactor fixed. Poor feedback ratings have a great impact on my standing on the site, so I would appreciate the opportunity to help you until you feel good with increasing your rating.