Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My 17 Year Old Refrig Makes A Large Noise When It Shuts Of

My 17 Year Old Refrig Makes A Large Noise When It Shuts Off.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the noise a loud clanking or banging type nose when the refrigerator shuts off?
Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not a click noise. It's more like a one loud grunt.

ser# XXXXX?88, model # XXXXX (not real legible)

It appears that the only time it does this is when the refrig cycles and it shuts off. It sounds like the compressor to me. It is still running okay.

OK so this is going to be your compressor. It means the piston inside has broken free so when it shuts of it bangs against the side of the compressor shell. I've seen refrigerators last for years and years with this problem, but eventually the piston will get jammed one day and suddenly stop cool. The only fix is to replace the compressor which is about $550 normally.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.