Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Speed Queen Heavy Duty Extra Large Capacity Washing

We have a Speed Queen Heavy Duty Extra Large Capacity Washing Machine - top loader which we bought in October 2006. It has been used for our family, mostly just two adults and is very good and needing minimal service til now. Now the spin cycle seems very slow and the clothes are still quite wet. Is it worth having it fixed or do these machines wear out eg after 5 years?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model number LWS42NW-3050

On the bottom of the washer, directly under the pulley, is a plastic helix. That helix wears, as does the pulley it mates to, and the brake is not disengaged as it should be. I suspect those parts may be worn. Can you look and see any visible wear or damage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not strong enough to look underneath the machine and also there is a cover plate so I cannot see the parts to which you refer. I think I need to contact a local repair shop. I was really interested to have an opinion about how long do such machines generally last and is it worht repairing?

The expected life is about 8 years. If that is what is causing your problem, repair is economically practical. If it is an issue with the transmission, it would not be worth repairing. Cost to replace pulley, helix and belt will be about 25-35% of new, so at 5 years, it is right on the line.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome, take care.