Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do I remove the agitator from a Maytag Bravos washing machine?

How do I remove the agitator from a Maytag Bravos washing machine? There are coins stuck under it.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so I can see which style of Bravos washer you have? It should be located on a sticker just below the lid down by the hinges (not on the lid itself).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX

OK so to remove the agitator you just need to pry the center cap up and off. You can use a knife to pry this center cap off and then there is a bolt going directly down through the center of the agitator. Unscrew the bolt and the agitator will pull up and out of the way so that you can access below it.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife seen coins around the edge of the agitator and she hers a load noise when the machine is going. When I took the agitator off I could not find them. Could they have went into the pump and if so what do I do now?

Yes they could have, or they could just be between the inner and outer tub. You'd need to remove the inner tub to see if the coins are below the basket.

Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and
the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.