Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a GE microwave that doesnt heat. The display works,

Customer Question

I have a GE microwave that doesn't heat. The display works, clock works, you can type in a cook time, hit start and the time starts counting down like normal on the display, but the magnetron doesn't activate and the turntable doesn't turn. I'm thinking a safety switch is broken and preventing both things from working. Does this sound correct and is the safety switch replacement doable for a very handy person? I'm an engineer done all kinds of auto repair, home construction, wiring, etc, etc. How can I test the switch(es) to verify the problem? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, good afternoon.The problem is the main control panel.
Its a bad relay or transistor on the board.
Its easy to replace but unfortunately thats the issue since it counts down with no power to the mag and fan.
all GE's are this way.
You can get that from Repair Clinic:
1-800-269-2609, 6:30 a.m. to midnight ET, 7 days.
I will work with you until we have this fixed to your 100% satisfaction, but since this may go on for a bit until you have the part It would be best if you would rate me my service up to this point as OK or better so the question does NOT close on us, and can NOT time out.
This then allows me to schedule free follow ups with you so we remain locked until the job is complete:-)
I will be prompted to do this as soon as you rate Ok service or better:-)
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought I wasn't suppose to rate the service until we were done, but I'll do as you suggested. Do you have a feel for about how much those boards cost?

Hi Mike the reason for rating now is because it will take some time until you have the board. I don't want our chat to end.
When you rate, it allows me to schedule free follow ups with you so we can remain in contact for sure:-)
If you send me the full model # XXXXX can tell you exactly how much and a link to the part.
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll rate you now. Also, I actually just looked it up at the repair clinic. Its $77.10. The micro is GE JEB1860 DM1BB. So you don't think it's a door switch. I thought it was curious that both the turntable and the magnetron would both stop working at the same time, that's why I was thinking it was a safety switch. If you think its the board I'll go ahead and order it. Thanks. Mike

Hi Mike, if it were one of the safety switches in the door, the unit wouldnt come on at all when you press start, no count down etc:-)
Thanks Mike have a great day!
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
Hi Mike, Please let me know when you have the board or if you need my assistance with the board install?
Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up Michael. The board arrives today. I'm hoping to run home and install it this afternoon because we have pre-trick/treat party this evening. Could you give me a quick briefing on how to get the micro open and replace the board, are any sketches available of this. I tried the other day, but i could not find a PDF diagram on-line. Thanks.

Hi Mike, here is a link to a few diagrams on your unit.
Hope this helps.
I will be here if you need me.
Michael

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=395653&ModelNum=JEB1860DM1BB&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=2&Selected=00125656i05&Position=3&mfg=GE&Type=Microwave&Mark=3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What's the quickest way to get to the board? Does the out shell/case have to be removed to access the board?

Hi Mike, that may be the easiest way to do this.
But once that is removed you will see that board just behind the display. Please use CAUTION near the large capacitor!!!
DO NOT TOUCH!
I will be here take your time with this part install so you dont damage anything. These parts are fragile.
Thank you
Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll check at lunch to see if the part came. Thanks.

Sounds Good Mike, I should be here most of the day.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael:

I put the new board in and it's acting the same way. What do you recommend? The display works. But the magnetron doesn't activate. I do hear clicking, but I did before as well. Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem. Why were you certain it was the board? I sure hope the repair clinic will take a return on the circuit board? Could it be the Magnetron itself? Or, could/should I jumper the door switch somehow (with door closed), just to make sure that's not the problem? Please let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Tech Michael is not available for follow up. I need further info now. The microwave is pulled out of the wall. His answer appears to have been wrong.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you if still needed. Okay so make sure we are on the same page, the turntable doesn't turn and the microwave doesn't heat? When you hit start does the light inside the microwave come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the light comes on, the timer starts counting down, and I hear a click like a relay on the board, but no hum from the magnetron.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.

Okay, and the turntable doesn't turn? Do you have a meter to test for voltage? One more thing when you turn it on do you hear like a fan running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't hear a fan, and I also don't hear the electrical hum that I always assumed was the magnetron. I do have a multi meter.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay is this the part you replaced?Main Control Board WB27X10969      Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, one more question, if you open the door and remove the glass plate grab the turntable plate holder and carefully turn it by hand about a quarter a turn. Does it turn at all (there will be resistance)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, there is resistance. you can feel it moving a mechanism and you can hear what sounds like gears turning.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that is the turntable motor and it is an asynchronous motor so that is what you are suppose to hear. Now you need to double check to make sure your wires are secure to the new control board (which I am sure they are since you have the same symptoms). Next while you already have access to the inside of the microwave, check the 3 switches. I suspect one of them is bad. Looking at your microwave the top and bottom switch should read the same and the middle switch will read opposite of the other 2. Don't take this wrong but do you know how to check the switches for continuity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've already checked the connections to the new board to make sure they are secure. I know how to connect a multi-meter to measure resistance, voltage, etc, but I've never checked a safety switch for continuity. I'm sure I can do it with your advice.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, WITH THE MICROWAVE UNPLUGGED, gain access to the switches and one switch at a time so as to not mix up the wires, remove the wires from a switch. Now open the door and measure for resistance on the switch. You will either read 0 ohms or infinite resistance. The close the door and read again and you should read opposite from last step. Now do this for each switch and remember the top and bottom switch will read the same and the middle switch will read the opposite of the other 2. Let me know if I didn't explain that well enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand what you are saying. I wil l have to leave for a while. i promised my kids a bike ride earlier, and it will take some time for me to open take the case off and test the switches. By the way. Is it safe to turn the microwave on for testing with the outside metal case removed--from a radiation perspective? [I know I should not touch electronics, especially capacitors and the door would need to be closed at all times.] Thanks.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is safe I test them all the time with the casing off just respect it like you already do but when you test the switches make the microwave is UNPLUGGED. Have fun on the bike ride. Kids ALWAYS come first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX available later this afternoon?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just respond back as to how the testing came out when you get done. Now go and enjoy your kids.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought that I sent a follow up message a minute ago, but it didn't take me to the normal screen that it does when I'm waiting. Here's the message again:

The bottom switch is bad. The switch is "open" (high resistance) whether the micro door is open or closed. I jumpered the wire connector and the micro works, and I can hear the hum of the the microwave. I was a little surprised to hear the fan come on when i opened the door to put a cup of water in, but i closed it instantly and I'm sure the magnetron didn't have time to start, even if it was about to.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should check before I order the door switch. Thanks. Mike

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay gave the little one a bath. Great job on your part and make sure you check the wiring that goes to that switch. Now did the fan stay on the entire time or just when you opened the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the fan stayed on the entire time, but I'd have to check to be sure. The wiring looked fine and since the switch tested open either way, it sure looks like the switch is bad. I'll go check the fan now and get back it a minute. Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I have the lower switch jumped, the fan will go on if I open the door. It also works like it should when I turn the micro on.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
That is what it should do if jumpered. Get with repair clinic and they will take back the new board and you can order the new switch. Just make sure you order the correct switch.The part number for the top and bottom switch is WB24X10047 and the middle is WB24X817. Again great job on your part and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much!

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
You are so welcome