MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

viking model vuim150drss ice machine seems like its running..not

Customer Question

viking model vuim150drss ice machine seems like its running..not making ice...could it most likely be the computer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Is the compressor running or not? I cannot solve anything without an exact, specific answer to what I need to know, so do whatever you need to in order to answer it correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sounds like compressor is running. the water is flowing inside machine.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
take off the stainless plate so you can see and feel the plate where the ice freezes. let all the water out so this runs dry and see if that plate frosts over- it should if there is nothing wrong with the refrigeration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can not get the screws off...now what?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Nothing- find a way to do it. Things like this are to be expected and I expect the asker to do whatever needs done to get this solved.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cannot get screws off...looks like its starting to ice up...

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Observe the build-up and see how thick it gets and if it attempts to harvest the slab of ice. Notice if the unit seems to run dry before the slab gets as thick as it usually does as that could be a fill issue and that is easily fixed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how long will that take? and is the computer not a concern? how long can we talk! and what is the fill issue?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Takes about 20 minutes if working properly. You cannot make ice without water, so the fill is important. I don't waste time guessing at anything, so let me know what happens here. I will not be here all day but will reply when I am able to so this gets a resolution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it just dropped a small piece of ice on the grate.....water running......dont think its cold enough.....could we rule out the computer..

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
How thick was the slab?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not very....about a quarter of what it should be

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
If the condenser coil is clean then you probably have a bad evaporator sensor here as it is harvesting the ice too soon. Fill is probably fine as long as the water was flowing up to the point where the ice harvest started. The sensor is easily replaced as it just bolts on the plate and plugs in at the control. I assume the slab was fully formed here, just thinner than normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not fully formed. just the middle of a slab and yes thin...

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The refrigeration system can only be ruled out here as an issue if you can see what I wanted you to in my first reply. If that plate does not get completely frosty then there is a refrigeration issue in which case this is not worth fixing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if its making a few ice cubes now, which it did not do before,can computer be bad! This ice machine is only 4 yrs. old....not going to spend 2800.00 on another ice machine! Does viking warranty the compressor if its that?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
I doubt the control is at fault here or the compressor. I am not guessing as explained long ago. You need to read the warranty on this product to see what they cover as the warranties do change.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if it does make ice even at a slow rate and its not the computer or compressor just what should i be looking for? It shouldn't stop making ice? turn it back on in a week and then its making ice!

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Probably a bad sensor as I mentioned as anything else is not going to work intermittently. When the ice is too thin I would remove the sensor from the plate and see if the slab formed becomes full sized; this would prove the sensor is faulty.

I cannot guess at this- I have clearly explained what needs to be looked at in all the posts and the fact that you cannot get those screws out is leading to many posts because you cannot get me an answer that I really wanted in the first place to avoid all this speculation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

to change the senor will i have to remove those screws or can i get around them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there a # for senor..how do i get to it.....do i have to re move screws

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
the sensor bolts on under the freeze plate. Part# varies as 2 different ones were used- ends of sensor are either spade terminals or a white plastic plug, so you just need to look.

Don't assume what is wrong here and buy anything until a definite diagnosis results.