MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

My bake works but the broiler does not. I replaced the element

My bake works but the broiler does not. I replaced the element but that didn't fix it. There is power coming from the wires.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
What is the model# XXXXX this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FEF336ECE

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The oven control has failed here, so you need to replace it. Nothing else is responsible for turning on the oven elements, so if your broiler is new as you say it is then there is no way it is sending 220 volts to it to turn on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We used a volt meter to check and there is power to the wires but the element doesn't come on. which part is the oven control?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

The element uses 220, so unless it has it the element will not work. You have said 2x you have power- you cannot otherwise the unit would be working. The oven control is what you use to turn on the oven- there is nothing else there aside from the burner switches.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The switch seems to turn on, the lights come on and I hear a clicking sound but the element doesn't heat. If the oven control was bad, would the baking element work?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The oven control controls the elements separately thru 2 different relays. You are making a simple issue much more complicated than it need be here. I work on this stuff for a living and also have been doing Frigidaire's warranty work for about 11 years now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does the oven control have another name, I can't find it on the part list to get a price?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

Not really, its called either range or oven control. Go to searspartsdirect.com and look at a picture of this model and you will see all the parts in the console.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is the site I was on, I searched for range control and it came back with clock timer. Is that right?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Yes, same thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm still confused on the voltage part. Is there any way you can call me?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

No, JA does not allow it. You must have 220 to the element or it will not work. Same is true for any element on that range. Get your meter and you will see the reading.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My father checked and it read the same voltage to the bake elements as it did to the broil element which would indicate that it should work. The only other thing is that maybe the replacement element was bad???

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
That would be the case here, but it is quite odd to have 2 bad elements- your old one AND the new one. However voltage measurements do not lie, so if you do indeed have the 220 then you do have a bad element here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't look at the meter myself but I can double check if you tell me exactly how to retest it. I still have the volt meter.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Just put the meter leads on the 2 wires and see the reading with the control calling for broil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I turned the broiler on and it didn't show power. My father tested 1 wire at a time so I guess that means something different. Thanks!

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Thanks- bad control here as first said.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS