Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our refrigerator is now a month old and we continue to experience

Our refrigerator is now a month old and we continue to experience a bad taste from the water dispenser. Yesterday I emptied about 3 gallons of water from the refrigerator and then after it cooled the water then tasted good. Today we got the same bad tasting water. What can be done about this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you get us the full model number? look inside the refrigerator section on either the sidewall or the ceiling for a model tag . thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model WSF26C3EXY01

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
This refrigerator is only one month old? Okay in most cases I would tell you it's probably the water reservoir behind the crisper drawer in the refrigerator section however this being only a month old that wouldn't make sense, usually the water reservoir is the problem because of the buildup inside of it but since you've only had this for a month this hardly enough time for that to happen. A very strange problem for such a new refrigerator, the water filter is obviously new and came with the refrigerator so I don't see that being bad already. Did you have a refrigerator before this with water and didn't taste bad also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we had a refrigerator prior to this one and the water was fine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay in that case the only thing I can think of is this refrigerator sat for a long period of time in a warehouse and it could possibly be either the filter or the water reservoir like I said. This really nothing else but clear plastic line between the filter and the water reservoir now with this set for a long period time it's possible it was moisture in there and this is what's causing the bad taste. Since this is only one month old I don't recommend you do any repairs to it however. I would have whirlpool come out under warranty and replace both the filter and the water reservoir, does the reason why you should have to pay for anything on this at this point. I know that's not the answer you want to hear but obviously it's one or the other that I mentioned above and you shouldn't have to pay for this. If your water was fine with your other refrigerator is no reason why the new refrigerator the water would taste bad. I would call warranty service right away and tell them that you were told to have both the filter and the water reservoir replaced. I hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.