Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

microwave will shut off after using several times and will

microwave will shut off after using several times and will come back on after a couple of minutes and the top of it is very hot

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem

Do you have the full model number? do you hear the cooling fan running up in the control panel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I pretty sure the fan came on

Okay open the door and look on the sidewall and get me the model number on the tag if you can, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

model# XXXXX

Okay perfect, the issue with this particular microwave is your transformer is overheating. It's number 16 on this diagram. Microwaves are very dangerous to work on even when they're unplugged they can store a lethal amount of voltage in the high-voltage capacitor, if not discharged correctly this can cause serious injury or even death it is recommended you have a service tech repair this. The transformer runs around $119.00 most people choose to replace the microwave rather than this very expensive part, there's also a service charge which can bring this repair to well over $200.00 if you wish to replace it yourself and you have the experience with high-voltage I am including this link we can order the part, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/ GE-Parts/Microwave-Parts/WB20X10049/0022/364/Model-JES1142SP1SS/0432/0123245?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G1103541&diagramPageId=00001&productTypeId=0123245&searchModelNumber=JES1142SP1SS&subCompDesc=Microwave&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=MICROWAVE&blt=11&shdMod=JES1142SP1SS Be safe however if you're not sure how to do this please call a technician in to replace it for you or replace the microwave itself. Thanks and best wishes, Bryan