Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Kenmore model(NNN) NNN-NNNN600 just stopped moving ice. All

My Kenmore model(NNN) NNN-NNNN600 just stopped moving ice. All lights work. Makes ice. Dispenses water. I removed the box and tried to turn the motor. It turn using a fair amount of force. I'm wondering whether the switch that activates the process or the motor is the problem. I don't want a tech to visit for a one second fix.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have a voltmeter? the best way to tell whether the

.dispenser motor is gone. i Is to test power to it? . If you are getting 120 volts the dispenser motor but it's not turning. then the motor. is bad. .This doesn't seem to be frozen if you can turn it, these are geared motors so if you can move it its not frozen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a voltmeter. I'm not a dummy, but I don't have a lot of practical experience using a voltmeter. I'm willing to get one and learn. Would I have to disassemble anything to get to where I can use the voltmeter? And, if the motor needs to be replaced, how much money could I expect to save on the call and cost of a new motor if I do it myself. I'm willing to do it for "fun" since I'm retired, but "fun" isn't trying to undo a botched job.

Well you would have to take the back of the freezer part inside to get to the auger motor. What you would need to do is put your voltmeter on voltage (ac) and on the motor there are two wires put one probe on each of the wires hold the light but in(the one that turns the light on and off of the freezer) and then press for ice. If you get 120 V you will need to replace the motor. Here is a diagram of the auger assembly, the auger motor is number two on the diagram,# XXXXX is what you have to remove to get to it. the auger motor runs around $103.00. if you had a service call on this you would be looking at about $200.00 total. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan