Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a ge profile arctica, its not freezing and its not staying

i have a ge profile arctica, its not freezing and its not staying cold on refrig side, freezer side says 30 degrees and refrig side says 51, it wont stay changed, goes for both sides, its not making ice and the water is lukewarm, please can you help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

lm0494 :

Hi thanks for choosing Just Answer, if you open the freezer door and push in the light switch does the fan run? also how old is your refrigerator?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the fan does not run, it turns off, it is a 2001 model # XXXXX when i try to change the temp settings it goes back to where it was, right now the refrig is at 51 degrees and the freezer is at 34 degrees which is not cold at all, and the water isnt cold nor is it making ice

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Im0494 please opt out from this conversation, i want to be assisted by another expert now. thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, okay so you say the fan is not running in the freezer , is there any Frost on the back panel behind the food in the freezer ? look real good. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the previous tech suggested that i open freezer door and turn light out to see if fan stills run and it doesnt, it turns off, and yes there is frost in back

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay do you think you can remove the back panel number 216 on this diagram? You will need to remove number 161 also which just lifts up and off I believe, make sure it is no screws in it but it should just slide onto a bracket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cant find 216 on the diagram, i found 161 but not 216

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry 213 .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i think you are talking about the inside of the freezer side right, if not tell me exactly

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Yes inside the freezer behind your food the panel that has Frost on it. There are screws I believe 4 or 6 depends on the panel. they need to be removed and then pull the panel out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that panel is behind those slide out trays brackets and i will have to take those out before removing panel, is there another way, what do you supect the problem is

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well you may have to take those out the trays in the bracket but in a lot of cases you can get that back panel out without doing that if you can it's a lot easier. What you have is a defrost problem, when you finally get the panel off the back you will see silver coils and they will be filled with Frost you need to take a hair dryer and defrost them completely, now you say the fan is running so the issue is going to be the fan so you will need to replace that. Unless the frost is gone around the fan and stopped at which in that case defrost the entire freezer with a hair dryer and put it back together and the fan should run, the fan is number 610 on the diagram. Here's a link to a you can order it if it is bad, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/WR60X10043/0046/363/Model-PSS25NGMABB/0432/0165000?k eySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G0106022&diagramPageId=00004&productTypeId=0165000&searchModelNumber=PSS25NGMABB&subCompDesc=Freezer%20section&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR-M-SERIES&blt=11&shdMod=PSS25NGMABB if you defrost this and the fan starts after don't bother replacing it but if it starts and then stops again you need to replace the fan, I hope this helps thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok the other tech asked if open freezer door and push light button to see if fans goes off and the answer is yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok this is what i dont understand, which is it, if the fan runs, its been running ever since i been blow drying, when i push the light button it stops, is that the way it should be or no, i need to know if i need a fan, all the defrost is gone by way of blow dryer

Optional Information:
Brand: ge profile
Type of Appliance: Refrigerator
What have you tried so far?: i thought i was corresponding with tech brian,where is he, im not finished

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats good it means the fan is good, you need to replace the defrost thermostat.if there was a lot of frost . this is clipped to the top of the coils you defrosted. make sure you have the back panel re installed and the refrigerator will work correctly until the part comes in. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10068/1170024?modelNumber=PSS25NGMABB thanks and great job, Bryan, P.S. sorry I had to go out last night.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.