Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Cannot light Maytag oven pilot light. Internet suggest cleaning

Customer Question

Cannot light Maytag oven pilot light. Internet suggest cleaning gas line orface. How to I gain assess to the gas line? Do I need to remove the metel cage to get to it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have the model number so I could better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model Number is XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
does the igniter glow at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I try to light it nothing happens. Before it went out I was able to oven the lower door and visably see a small flame.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay you need to replace the oven igniter, the part I showed you above. You can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Igniter/12400035/3377?modelNumber=PGR4410CDW remove the floor of the oven by removing the two screws in the back of the floor. You will be able to reach the igniter to change it. Make sure you unplug the range before doing this, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do I need to unplug the stove when nothing electrial is connected to the oven. This does not have electrical ignition. It has only a pilot light.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so then model number you gave me can't be right, because that comes up with the electronic ignition. Let me recheck that and I'll be back in just a few minutes. Thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You need to recheck your model number, this is coming up with electronic ignition and you're telling me that it doesn't have it so you need to check the model number. Did you get this model number off the stove itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After rechecking I can now see two wires coming out from the back of the device I was trying to light. So apparently you are correct in your response. Sorry to lead you astray.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's all right, all you need to do is replace the igniter like I said above just make sure you unplug the stove or shut the power off to it before you start. It's not a very difficult job he just be careful because these are real fragile and they can break easy if you drop it or hit it hard on something so be very gentle with the new igniter. Thanks have a great weekend, please don't forget to rate me three or above so I get paid for helping you, well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have ordered the part and it has a connector on the end. How do I access the connector when the two wires dissapear thru the hole in the back panel and I cannot see the other end of the wire.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the wire you can pull through the back so you can unplug it, just work it slow and the plug should come through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say the back, do you mean from the back of the stove? If so I will remove the stove to gain access to the back panel.--- Right.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you should be able to get to it from inside the oven , you shouldn't have to remove the oven . we do these all the time you do it by removing the floor inside the oven.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Igniter was delivered today. Part went in exactly as you described and the oven burner comes on as usual. I was expecting a much more difficult job than it actually was. Thanks to your expert advice I was able to replace the igniter without paying for an outside repairman. Thanks again for your help. Richard

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
That is great news Richard! I'm so glad you are able to get this repaired yourself. It saves you a lot of money for the service call, please do not forget to rate me three or above so I get paid for helping you. Five is the best if you think I did that good for you. Have yourself a great week and thank you, well-wishers, Bryan