Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Whirlpool Imperial (8 Cycle, 2 Speed) washing machine timer

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Imperial (8 Cycle, 2 Speed) washing machine timer knob will not stay in the 'pulled out' position for the entire wash cycle. We are required to check on it and pull it back out so the washing cycle or rinse cycle will finish. What could be causing the timer knob to not stay pulled out during the entire machine cycle?
Thanks,
John L.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have a model number? thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay the first thing you need to do is check to make sure the timer is loose where it connects to the control head. Push the knob in and turn it counterclockwise, this will unscrew the main knob, then behind that there's the dial knob and that just pulls off. Make sure the two screws that hold the timer are tight. You will see them what you get the knobs off. Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

I unscrewed the main knob. The dial knob does not just pull off. It seems to be locked onto the threaded spindle that the main knob screws onto. I tried to pry it up but it is on tight. I do not want to break the dial knob. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Number 45 on this diagram will not come off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

Correct..the dial under the knob seems to be attached to the threaded spindle that moves out for the machine cycle to run or moves in when you need the machine cycle to stop. It seems pretty securely attached.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I understand but what I see and I know these machines that does just come off even though it seems really attached these do just slide on here is a backside picture of the dial part now they have little clips but those clips you do not have to do anything with they just kind of slide into the slot on the timer to help hold that steady but there is no way to really do anything with those clips you just need to pull the knob off. this just slides onto the white pat of the shaft shown here,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

What If I gave it a little WD 40 to soak in and help loosen around where the plastic housing of the dial is up against the metal shaft?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
That may help, basically I know you're afraid of breaking the dial itself and I have seen these very tight but they do come off and how I told you to get it off is a way we usually do it, maybe two small flat head screwdriver is working back and forth to work it off would help also. This is an older machine and its probably been stuck on there for a long time, but they do come off they just slide right off of course in your case not that simply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

I was able to pry the dial off without breaking it. It is a pretty tight fit. I checked both of the screws and they are tight. What next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay at the time was not loose then the problem is inside the timer. The timer has a shaft that goes through the entire timer the shaft has a notch in it when you pull it off about the notch engages the timer contacts which is spring-loaded. There is no way to take these timers apart unfortunately because you will never get it back together there are nylon parts that drop into this notch they are worn. What happens is the timer turns it tends to pop out of the notch and the timer shuts off it's almost as if you pushed it in yourself to stop it. The only way to fix the issue would be replace the timer, I'm not sure how much you like this machine but is a very reliable machine in these last for many years, the timer is around $102.00 at the following link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/3947406/0026/110?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=3947406 it's fairly easy to replace since you already have the knob and all that off of it all you need to do is watch this video on how to open the control to replace it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8j7KkLkAN8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

I was thinking that your conclusion was the case...As you stated, we got many years of excellent service out of that timer. I am confident that I can swap out the timer assembly. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome John, if it were my machine I would fix it these are extremely reliable of course like anything things to wear out. Please don't forget to rate me three or above if I've been useful and helpful, I'm sure you can replace this yourself. Have a great Sunday and a great week! Thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

I just attempted to swap out the timer switch. The new switch does not have threaded holes for the two screws that keep it mounted to the control panel. Is this something that you have experienced before? What can I do?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't have two screws under the timer knob that hold it to the control panel ? under the know in the front of the timer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

It has the two holes in the exact location as the original timer. The holes on the original timer clearly has threaded holes so that you can connect it to the washer. The new timer does not have threaded holes. The holes seem to be just through the case of the new timer with no threads for the screws to bite into. Should I try to use self tapping machine screws instead?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes , it sounds like they may have screwed the timer up and didn't thread them. I would get threaded screws and tap it. be careful not to go to deep though so you don't damage the timer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

A couple of 10 x 1/2" sheet metal screws did the job. Now the new timer is installed and the washer has completed a complete cycle without hanging up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats great ! have a nice afternoon.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
, thanks again, Bryan