Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator/Freezer combo (bottom freezer

I have a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator/Freezer combo (bottom freezer drawer, double-door fridge on top). It's nine years old and has been working fine. Recently, however, it started making continuous "grinding" noises. It seems related to the freezer, because when I open the freezer drawer, the noise stops immediately, and will start immediately upon closing the freezer drawer again. Opening the fridge doors doesn't affect the noise. My instinct tells me it might be the ice maker, which we seldom use. However, turning off the ice maker (by pushing the lever up) does not stop the noise. Any thoughts as to what this might be? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you get me the full model number so I can better assist you? thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's 596.735C2201

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay great. Now can you open the freezer drawer and pushed the light button in so the like is off in the freezer and tell me when the fan starts up is that when it makes noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interesting. If I open the drawer, the noise stops, but as soon as push the light button, the noise is back on. I let go off the button, the noise is gone, push the button the noise is back. Etc.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay it's the evaporator fan inside the freezer behind the back wall. These fail all the time and make a grinding noise when they do. The reason the noise stops when you open the freezer is because the fan doesn't want to be dragging and warm air when the drawers open so it shuts down. You need to order it replaced the fan. Here's a link to order the fan http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/12002225/1032797?modelNumber=596.73502201 you need to remove the back wall inside the freezer to replace it. Once the back panel is removed you will see the fan. It's not difficult to replace Andy can do this yourself. Do it as soon as you can because this may fail altogether which means it won't be sending any cold air up to the refrigerator section, I hope this helps, thanks very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! This is very useful.

Question: How long can I expect a fridge/freezer like this to last, given that it is nine years old?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
These are fairly good refrigerators, they do have some of the smaller problems but overall this refrigerator will usually last up to 15 years or more. So you still have a few years left. The little things like the fan happen on the spot usually don't have too big an issue with anything else. I hope this is useful to you, thanks very best wishes and please don't forget to rate me three or above so I get paid for helping, have a great afternoon, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.