Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

OLDER Maytag neptune dryer Model MDE800AYW electric dryer not

OLDER Maytag neptune dryer Model MDE800AYW electric dryer not working. Keypad is stuck on blinking Pause, and wiil not start. After drying 2 loads of clothes yesterday I noticed a big amount of condensation on wall in laundry room,(NEVER Happens) thought vent came unhooked underneath(has happened b4) Reattatched, checked for clogs etc. Wont start!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

This model number should have a few more numbers in it , can you check inside the door and see on the tag ? thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The entire model # XXXXX XXXXX . Only other #s inside door is the Serial # XXXXX The MDW... Number is XXXXX i have been using all morning to research this

Okay do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to check continuity with one? You need to check the thermal fuse in this. This is located on the blower assembly, number 40 on this diagram, you need to remove the front of the dryer to get to it,remove panel # XXXXX on this diagram and the thermal fuse is on the blower behind that. heres a video on how to test it. click this blue link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/33001762/516650?modelNumber=MDE6800AYW
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks Brian, I already had a feeling it might be that. Been doing a lot of on line searching. Do you think that because the exhaust hose was loose yesterday, that the thermal fuse blew? will have to wait for hubby to use the volt meter

Really there's no set cause for this, this can happen at any time for no reason at all so I wouldn't say for sure the vent coming off had anything to do with the thermal fuse, this is just something that wears out like a fuse in your car or your home after a while they get old and just go, if that doesn't turn out to be the issue let me know and we can go on from there, most of the time however this is what causes that. Now considering you had a lot of moisture it's possible something else is causing this issue so if you can test it that would be great. If you don't have a voltmeter you can temporarily bypass the thermal fuse by attaching the two wires together and taping them so they don't touch anything and trying the dryer. (Make sure you unplug the dryer before doing any service) if the dryer starts then you know thermal fuses bad. I hope this helps if that doesn't turn out to be the problem just come back and we'll check some other things. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok Bryan we'll see!

I'll be here if you need me. Thanks, Bryan