Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Last question got closed with answer that large appliance may

Last question got closed with answer that large appliance may not work with outlet style GFCI and may need different breaker. But the dryer on same type of device doesn't trip the GFCI only the deep freezer does. Should I also put washer and dryer on regular outlet rather than GFCI? The outlets are near a laundry tub and that is why I switched them to GFCI outlets.
Hello, well the difference between the dryer and the freezer is the freezer draws a lot more amperage than the dryer. Presuming you are talking about a gas dryer is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Gas Dryer and Washing machine on another (regular) breaker and I added and outlet style GFCI. Only tested so far the gas dryer. It seems fine.

Okay I understand, the thing is a gas dryer and a washing machine take a lot less amperage to run then an older freezer, when the compressor waddled freezer starts it draws a lot of amperage in this is what is causing the GFI to trip. If this runs on a regular outlet without a problem then it's definitely the GFI that needs to be replaced and use a regular outlet. Like I said it's not a problem for the dryer to run because it takes very few amps to start that, I hope this clarifies what I am talking about. Thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought GFCI didn't trip via the draw of current but only on detection of current leakage. But I guess you've seen this before and experience greater by far than mine. So I guess I'll just change out that outlet. It's a bit confusing from what I thought I understood...

Yes even on a 20 amp GFI these can draw more than 20 A when they start the compressor, especially in older unit which probably takes more power to start. You will be fine if you put this on a regular outlet. Thanks and have a great weekend, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to finish on the same discussion, looks like something happened to this freezer. It's a GE No Frost ... (got to get behind it to get the model number I think) though some numbers were on a door sticker. When plugged into a regular outlet, it seems to do nothing. Is it possibly shorted out? Maybe it needs a real appliance guy, but before going there I though I'd explore fully here.

well this may be in a defrost cycle. give it about 1/2 hour and see if it comes back on. let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wow there's a cool answer! That's why I can't do this on my own! I will try that and let you know. Can't try it until much later today when I'm at that residence. I will let you know for sure.

okay .don't panic yet ! LOL these sometimes will be in defrost and it can take a while to come on and start back up. hopefully thats all thats going on.the boards are electronic. I'll watch for your reply later.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here