Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi- 10 yr old-Whirlpool refrigerator side by side doors model

Hi- 10 yr old-Whirlpool refrigerator side by side doors model GD5sHGXLQ01- not cooling- - maybe for 2 days now-room temp in side- still running -lights still on- air vents internally not blocked- air coming out of air vents- just not cold- ice maker has not worked for some time- cleaned gathered dust off under bottom front- removed plastic removeable grill was a lot of dust on there- maybe we burned out compressor????

How do I figure out what is wrong to repair or replace????? ( no $ to replace)

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the freezer also warm ? do you hear any clicking or buzzing about every 3-5 seconds comming from the back near the compressor ? pull the refrigerator away from the wall and listen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes freezer is also warm, pulled away from wall and listened closely- no clicking or buzzing, just sounds like running normally.

okay can you take the cover off and feel the compressor and tell me whether its hot,warm,or cold ?does it seem to be vibrating ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok will try not sure I know exactly how to take cover off or which is compressor -I ssume you mean cover on back of machine?

yes along the back bottom , its like a vent cover over the compressor. part # XXXXX on this diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok cover off.. black compressor like big bowl with quite a few copper tubes in it, is very very hot, vibrating slightly? but not much- cant tell if vibration is from fan as fan is working apparently fine.. thought I may have yeard a click..

okay well it seems like the compressor isn't running. the vibration you feel is most likely from the condenser fan. unplug the refrigerator and on the side of the compressor (black ball) there is a rely assembly (it will look like one of these. ) these just pry off. take it off and shake it. does it rattle ? if so its bad. let me know. thanks Bryan.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

unsure how do get off without damage- all bundled on side, metal wire over it? unplugge one wire to it -the other seems protected by wire-pryed and pulled etc afraid I am going to wreck it..took photo not sure how to attach so you can see

yes the metal wire you need to remove, then it just pry off with a flat head screwdriver. you can leave the wries attach and just shake it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

got it yes- rattles a lot....

okay you need to replace the relay.because they used so many different relays on these they come in a kit. your relay will be in the kit and it comes with instructions. you can order the kit at the following link. this will take care of your issue, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much... might I find this today locally where I bought it - electrical supply, hardware store?

You're very welcome, I don't think an electrical supply House or a hardware store will carry these unfortunately, if you can find an appliance parts warehouse in your area they will carry it, if not you will need to order it where I told you to go online. Please do not forget to rate me three or above if I have helped you, thank you very much and have a great weekend, Bryan