Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi, I just replaced the motherboard in my GE Profile PFS22SISBSS

Hi, I just replaced the motherboard in my GE Profile PFS22SISBSS fridge/freezer. I was told that this would fix the fact that my fridge was warm, because most of the systems didn't power up. Now I have the fan next to the cooling fin running and I can hear the relay/switch next to the compressor kicking on (or off?) periodically ... but the compressor doesn't turn on right away, as I would expect. So the fridge still isn't cooling down. Is it normal for the compressor not to kick on immediately when the fridge is 70 degs and when the relay/switch trips? How do I solve this?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Its extremely rare for this refrigerator but from what your saying it sounds like the start relay on the compressor has failed. you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/WR07X10097/1265640?modelNumber=PFS22SISBSS its not normal for that to click and the compressor to not start. if you replace that and this still happens your compressor has failed which is real rare on these.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any way to bypass the relay and power up the compressor directly to make sure. I just paid for a new board (who knows if I need it) and shed load of shipping ($60) - if I order another part and pay another $60 in shipping and it turns out to be the compressor, I'm paying another few hundred for that I"m sure and then another $100+ for shipping on that big boy - I'm more than half way to a new fridge and I have a bunch expensive junk parts kicking around. I'd prefer to be sure before I do this.

Is this something I should try?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

Is this something I should try? 

PS .... if it's clicking ok, why do we think it's the switch and not the compressor anyway? Any kind of visual inspection we can do?
you cant bypass that unfortunately. there a start side and a run side the relay starts it and the run windings take over. you can try one thing though. remove the relay and shake it. if it rattles it bad for sure. I wish i could tell you more. the site I gave you will take the part back even if you install it and it turns out not to fix the issue, money back guaranty 100%. thats the best I can do, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, but they don't refund the $60 in shipping, or the $24 international service charge (canada) do they? ;)

How about attaching my multimeter to the live and neutral terminals on the relays output side and looking for voltage? Would this tell me if it's good? Any risk or shorting anything cause there is no load attached, just the resistance of the multimeter. ...

I just want to be sure that this puppy is toast before I replace it ... and is it possibly or likely that if this relay failed, so did the compressor? I can't be waiting three or four days to try this switch only to find out the compressor has gone too ... I have a family with a bunch of kids who need a fridge.

hello?

its obviously getting power to the relay and you cant really tell by checking voltage at the relay its going to be getting power all the time. heres a link to Sears Canada if that helps but they wont give you a refund but the part is $80..00 http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/WR07X10097/0046/363?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=WR07X10097 I'm not sure what else to say. it sounded like you needed the board to begin with also because the condenser fan wasn't starting before that.