Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool dryer, model GEW9878PW1, stops intermittently (sometimes

Whirlpool dryer, model GEW9878PW1, stops intermittently (sometimes at beginning, mid-cycle or near end). At beginning starting again often works. Other times, changing a dry setting makes it possible to start and complete the drying cycle. What part(s) require replacing (my handyman skill are very good)? Thanks

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

this is one of two things, 1 the motor relay is bad and not staying in. or 2 the timer has a bad contact. Timer(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View Relay(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewsounds like the timer from what your saying about moving the cycle. heres a link to the parts. you can try replacing the relay first if you wish, its $22.00 and may take care of the issue. the timer is $92.00. hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We rarely use the timer, using rather the dryness sensor. Please note that this dryer has a ceramic sensor.

yes I understand that but the timer has to be set and it has contacts in it. my feeling is the , your using the timer even in automatic cycle so it has nothing to do with using the timed dry cycle on the timer itself just the timer sends the power to the motor even when your using automatic. I know about the sensors but they wouldn't cause that type of issue only heating issues. unless thats what you mean this stops heating but keeps turning ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Appreciate the clarification. You are correct, it does not keep turning, just stops. Following this logic, it is likely not the sensors. I shall pursue the timer. Cross your fingers. Thanks!

your welcome, glad to help. Please rate me 3 or above before you sign off. you can always come back if you need further help, the question will stay open, thanks , Bryan