Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My dryer makes a loud grinding noise during operation. It

My dryer makes a loud grinding noise during operation. It is a Tromm and maybe about 5 year old.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning. Do you have the model number so I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not at home at the moment. It's an LG Tromm. I can look it up tonight, if you need me to. It's not a thumping npise, like a warped drum, and it doesn't just happen when I put sneakers in it. Even when empty, it is a constant grinding, with no variations in volume.
okay if you can get me the model later I'll see what I can do then, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model number is: DLE2514W

It is an electric heat version.

okay. can you take this apart ? sometimes the wheels on the shafts can wear and make a grinding noise, (they don't necessarily thump) if the bearing on the wheel wear they can grind when turning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You confirmed what I suspected. I am mechanically inclined, but exceptionally busy (on 75% travel for my job). I can repair things, but don't have the time for exploratory dissections that result in a decision to just trash the broken object and buy a new one. So do you have an opinion on the level of difficulty for replacement? For a reference, consider changing spark plugs on a car that are partially blocked, and require the use of a knuckle joint on the ratchet wrench. Harder or easier? And I guess I need to price the bearings, as compared with just buying a whole new dryer. I'm open to suggestion for a source. Thanks.
it requires removing the top and then the control panel then the front of the dryer. its probably a 6 on a scale of 1-10. heres a diagram if that helps. you also need to remove the front drum glide assembly # XXXXX on this diagram. there are wheels on it also. 4 altogether. once the front is off reach in and release the belt and pull the drum out. the wheels are in the back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My dryer had 4 of those wheels, but I only replaced the one closest to the door, on the bottom. I then sprayed belt dressing under the drive belt. It worked. The dryer is silent now. No further questions.