Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE Profile Refrigerator Model# XXXXX SS does not dispense

My GE Profile Refrigerator Model# XXXXX SS does not dispense the ice. When I took the drawer out I see that the drive mechanism is stationary in the horizotal positon. I also cannot find the on and off switch on this model ice maker.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today,

Good afternoon, is this not ejecting the ice from the ice maker or not comming through the door when you go to get ice ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The tray is full, but when I try to retrieve the ice, there is only a humming sound

okay. pull the tray out again and hold the light switch in and press for ice, (what I mean by light switch is the one that controls the light in the freezer when the door opens) let me know if the fork in the back turns then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing happens

okay can you take a screw driver and try turning the fork by hand ? its geared so you have to turn hard. clockwise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is no screw - it has a round head on it

there should be a fork on the auger motor # XXXXX on this diagram. is that not on there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the fork is there, but it is secured with a domed headed fastener and I don't have anything that will turn it.

I just need you to put a butter knife or screwdriver though the fork and turn it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I used a very heavy screwdriver and it would not move. Forget it, i'll buy some cube trays. This Profile series is very cheaply constructed. The dishwasher can't even wash clean dishes, the handles on the ref are always coming off and the front of the microwave fell off the first month.
Thanks for the help anyway.!!

sorry if you cant turn it the auger motor has frozen and would need to be replaced, its around $70.00 and you have to take the whole back inside the freezer apart to replace it.