Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Please help not enough water pressure to clean top dishes.

Please help not enough water pressure to clean top dishes. It has been cleaned with clr and has been taken apart and cleaned out and only reason I can think of is there is not enough water pressure to turn the top arm as food is always present on the inside of the door to the top half. Thanks

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, can you start the dishwasher and let it fill. once full open the door and tell me in inches how much water is in the bottom ? does it reach the heater?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is 1 " of water in the dishwasher and the heater is partly submerged from the front of the washer to halfway back. Malcolm

okay Malcolm, your not getting enough water to create enough water pressure to clean the top (you are correct about the pressure) what you have though is a low water level. by the time the pump sucks water down into it theres not enough to circulate the water to the top. can you get me the full model number from inside the machine on the side wall ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi model # XXXXX XXXXX

Thanks Malcolm

Okay perfect. the issue on these machines is the fill valve. these are electronic and get gummed up inside so they don't open fully. the dishwasher has a tamed fill cycle so not enough water goes in for the allotted time and the electronic control shuts the water off before it filled enough. A common issue. you need to order and replace the valve. its part # XXXXX on this diagram and is in front on the left side when you remove the access panel in the front under the door. its easy to replace. heres a link to order it. direct/part-number/Kenmore-elite-Parts/ Dishwasher-Parts/8531671/0022/665/Model-66517059401/0583/0130000?=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=K0503045&diagramPageId=00006&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=66517059401&subCompDesc=Fill%20and%20overfill%20parts&=KENMORE ELITE&modelDesc=DISHWASHER&blt=11&=66517059401 thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Bryan I changed the part but still doesn't seem to be enough pressure to wash the top dishes as the top washer arm doesn't seem to be turning and the water is just sort of pouring out but not turning it. Thanks Malcolm

Good morning Malcolm, is the water level any higher now ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it isn't any higher ? I am taking off the bottom screen to make sure nothing is blocking it but I don't believe so since we haven't used it in 2 weeks. Thanks for any suggestions Malcolm

Okay the one thing you want to check inside is make sure the float is moving up and down correctly and not getting stuck, just lift up and down and see if it moves freely. You're still only getting about 1 inch of water in the bottom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Float moves freely and yes only about 1" of water. I just disconnected the turbo zone part from the standing water pipe at the back of the machine and it was dry with no evidence of water running thru it and I had pressed the turbo zone on. Thanks Malcolm

okay try checking the chopper assembly and sump. heres a video to show you how to take that apart. It has to be the impeller down in the sump thats bad. just click that blue link.