Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag refrigerator Mod: MF C2061 HEW SN: 1293 7443 JG The

Maytag refrigerator Mod: MF C2061 HEW SN: 1293 7443 JG

The upper compartment is not cooling. It seems to be heating.
I have lowered the temp control and now have on max cool. The temp reads 73. A thermometer reads 60.

I have vacuumed coils but they were not very dusty.

Anything else to try? It is Saturday and no help available on this island.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the refrigerator section band press the light switch in to see if the light is going off ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the lights go off when the switched are depressed
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. is the fan in the freezer running ? is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? look real good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost.

If I seem slow answering it is because we are dial-up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats okay. is the fan running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's hard for me to tell. I think I can hear it.

The plastic "coil" behind the crisper drawers is quite cool.

It is still on max cool. The temp reads 68 but the thermometer is 60.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you feel any air comming up into the refrigerator from the freezer ? sorry for all the questions sometimes this is necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the large tray out and felt the two vents. There does not seem to be any airflow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this gets a little tougher from here. do you think you have to tools to remove the rear panel inside the freezer behind the food ? its difficult because this is a bottom drawer type refrigerator. you need to replace the fan. the fan is number 18 on this diagram. you can order a fan @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Maytag-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts /67003636/0046/464/Model-MFC2061HEW/3048/0161000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=M0704051&diagramPageId=00013&productTypeId=0161000&searchModelNumber=MFC2061HEW&subCompDesc=Evaporator/evap%20motor/rollers&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=MAYTAG-REFRIGERATION&blt=11&shdMod=MFC2061HEW these tend to slow down and even stop at times. this is the issue. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan in the freezer compartment is working. The freezer is cold.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay. then the issue has to be the damper assembly this opens to let the cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator section. this you get to through the refrigerator section. its number 13 on this diagram. you can order this yourself and replace it or call a tech to do it . Its up to you. theres a link below to order it if you wish. its about $50.00.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/67003903/1057232?modelNumber=MFC2061HEW thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have wedged the gate open about 1/2 inch and cold air is flowing. Is it likely to cause freezing if left that way until next week?

Is it difficult to replace the damper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it difficult to replace the damper? How does it counteract the strong spring on the gate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry i had to step out. the damper isn't hard to replace once you remove parts # XXXXX and 14. this may freeze up with it wedged.just keep an eye on it and if it starts to freeze let it close then open as needed, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.