Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag refrigerator Mod: MF C2061 HEW SN: 1293 7443 JG The

Maytag refrigerator Mod: MF C2061 HEW SN: 1293 7443 JG

The upper compartment is not cooling. It seems to be heating.
I have lowered the temp control and now have on max cool. The temp reads 73. A thermometer reads 60.

I have vacuumed coils but they were not very dusty.

Anything else to try? It is Saturday and no help available on this island.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the refrigerator section band press the light switch in to see if the light is going off ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the lights go off when the switched are depressed
okay. is the fan in the freezer running ? is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? look real good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No frost.

If I seem slow answering it is because we are dial-up.

thats okay. is the fan running ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's hard for me to tell. I think I can hear it.

The plastic "coil" behind the crisper drawers is quite cool.

It is still on max cool. The temp reads 68 but the thermometer is 60.

can you feel any air comming up into the refrigerator from the freezer ? sorry for all the questions sometimes this is necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took the large tray out and felt the two vents. There does not seem to be any airflow.

okay this gets a little tougher from here. do you think you have to tools to remove the rear panel inside the freezer behind the food ? its difficult because this is a bottom drawer type refrigerator. you need to replace the fan. the fan is number 18 on this diagram. you can order a fan @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Maytag-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts /67003636/0046/464/Model-MFC2061HEW/3048/0161000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=M0704051&diagramPageId=00013&productTypeId=0161000&searchModelNumber=MFC2061HEW&subCompDesc=Evaporator/evap%20motor/rollers&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=MAYTAG-REFRIGERATION&blt=11&shdMod=MFC2061HEW these tend to slow down and even stop at times. this is the issue. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The fan in the freezer compartment is working. The freezer is cold.

okay. then the issue has to be the damper assembly this opens to let the cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator section. this you get to through the refrigerator section. its number 13 on this diagram. you can order this yourself and replace it or call a tech to do it . Its up to you. theres a link below to order it if you wish. its about $50.00.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/67003903/1057232?modelNumber=MFC2061HEW thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have wedged the gate open about 1/2 inch and cold air is flowing. Is it likely to cause freezing if left that way until next week?

Is it difficult to replace the damper?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it difficult to replace the damper? How does it counteract the strong spring on the gate?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

sorry i had to step out. the damper isn't hard to replace once you remove parts # XXXXX and 14. this may freeze up with it wedged.just keep an eye on it and if it starts to freeze let it close then open as needed, thanks, Bryan