Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Top-Loading Washer, Model number is (2002,

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Top-Loading Washer, Model number is (2002, 2110, 2111, 2118, 2120 or 2129) bought in 2011. It takes one and a half hours to wash one load, even small loads. When I first got it, it took about an hour and has gotten progressively worse. We checked the hoses for kinks and they look fine. When I first bought it, I went back to the store to complain and the salesman said that all the new machines take that long. Is this true? Is there anything that can be done? It's ridiculous!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the lid and look straight back and there will be a model number tag, can you get me the full model number ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I'm at work.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
can you get it to us later? that will be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much later? Will I have to pay again?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
no you do not have to pay again. just sign back in and post a reply. it will come right to me. I will keep checking until around 9 pm EST.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, my model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay good. now when you wash in cold water only does it fill slow ? does it take a long time to fill at the beginning of the cycle on cold water wash ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it fills slow on cold. It takes an hour and a half to wash an extra small load on small cold. It takes an hour to wash a large load on hot. It takes an hour and 40 minutes to wash a medium load on warm. (My old machine took 20 minutes to wash any load.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. you need to replace the fill valve. what I would do first however is shut the water off and remove the hoses. check the screens in both the hoses and the valve. if they are clean then replace the valve. heres a link to the valve. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/W10356257/1938138 its the fill time thats slowing the whole wash cycle down. when it rinses it refills also. all this fill time is causing the long wash, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The screen in the valve was full of sand on the cold water side. There weren't any screens in the hoses. We cleaned out the screen as best we could and ordered the new valve. Question: how does sand get in the cold water source?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
whenever they do work on the water lines or theres a break when repairing sand and crap can get into the main water lines, thats how it happens most times. this eventually makes its way to homes. try getting some new hoses with screens and clean them often to keep this from happening. thanks and well wishes, Bryan