Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We cannot open our GE dishwasher.

We cannot open our GE dishwasher.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a model number by chance ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have a manual with no manual/model numbers listed. I do have these numbers that were needed by GE for the recent recall. Perhaps they will help...GLD686ONOOss and AM839511B

Okay great, that works. These are a real pain to work on, especially if it is locked and you cannot get the door open, part number 805 on this diagram. Usually is the part that is causing the issue and has broken inside the door, of course, the door will need to be opened to work on this. All the screws around the inside of the door is what you need to remove to get the latch assembly. You must get the door open , if you can get the door open sometimes you have to force it open at this point because it's broken and may not unlatch, what you need to do is look at the parts diagram in order the part that has broken of course until you can get the door open you will not be able to tell what actually happened to the latch assembly,I'm including this link to all the door parts . like I said you may have to force the door open . hope this helps though. thanks, Bryan