Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE top load washer 267A3088P405The spin cycle does not squeeze

GE top load washer 267A3088P405
The spin cycle does not squeeze out enough water. Sounds fine.
Any suggestions?
Daniel Klass
Wpg Canada

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning Daniel. Could you open the lid and check near the back for the model number. the one you gave isn't comming up. ? thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I have looked at all but the bottom of the washer and cannot find a model number. I have the Use and care guide...and that was the number I quoted before.

All I have so far is

GE Laundry "saver series". It looks about 10-15 years old.

Is there anywhere else I can look?

okay. lets do this. I believe your issue is either the belt is slipping or this isn't draining properly. take a putty knife and about 4 inches in from each side between the front panel and the top of the machine there are clips . push the clips up and pull out on the top of the front panel. this will come out and ten off the bottom clips. let me know if you can get that open. this will give you access to the pump and belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've got the top off, but this isn't giving me access to anything but the drum. This is a top loader.

mmmm. okay strange. you didn't see any model number tag under the lid? it would be on the circle part near the middle back. I really need that so I can take a look.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only other number I can find is associated with the Ontario Energy Program...that is "2148802"

thats doesnt help.does the front panel look like its seperate from the rest of the cabinet ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One other number that may help...on a paper sticker on the back warning about electrical danger is the number 238A5436P001

The surround panel is a one piecer...welded onto the upper part of the back panel.

I have removed the sheet metal lower part of the back panel ( 5 screws).

The belt is visible...and tight. All looks ship shape but no other ID numbers visible back there.

I'm so sorry I can find anything for a model to help you, i don't want to hold you up, I'll opt out and someone else may be able to help. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wait a minute...I just found another document with the following ID for the washer

GW 973

VW 973

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Got the label!

It is Model VW973KW118

Serial DF522368

GW 973

VW 973

can you tip the machine back and see if you can see the drain pump ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll give it a try...Give me a minute or so...I'm old and weak.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK by the way I have the back panel off..and can see the electric motor, on top of which is sitting what looks like the drain pump...hard cream colored plastic thing.
okay that is probably the drain pump. can you remove it and check for any obstructions ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll unclip the rubber tubing, tub to pump and pump to drain...removing the pump itself is above my grade.

Will a simple inspection confirm whether the drain pipes are clear...should I pour some water through?

well it could be the pump is weak also so Its hard to say until you take a look at the hoses and try to get a look inside the pump. my feeling is either theres a partial clog or the pump is failing. this is the most common reason for your issue. if you cant take this apart any further to check you will unfortunately need a tech. I hope you just find something in the hose or pump and be done with it. thanks and let me know if you can, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks...I appreciate your help so far. I'll continue cleaning out the tubes...finding a bit of debris but not much. If the pump is weak I presume this is a replaceable part.

Yes the pump can be replaced. The pumps for these GE washers and I'm just going by the average price is around $60.00 and if you need somebody to come out and fix it the whole job would probably run you around $130.00 I believe, I've really tried to stick with you on this and hopefully you will get it going correctly. It's very difficult when we can't find the model or the correct model number for it thanks and have a great day. thanks Bryan