Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

ge PROFILE PSI23SGRC Ice maker works but does not dispense.

Customer Question

ge PROFILE
PSI23SGRC
Ice maker works but does not dispense. control panel slowed and then stopped working. its lights work, but when I try to use the ice dispenser the lights on the panel dim and the fan inside goes off as if there was a load on the unit and a bad motor. In a few seconds, lights are bright again and fan is on. Doesn't sound like a wiring harness.
Thanks so much
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Do you have a volt meter and know how to check voltage ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. I can check voltage. One more thing. at first the control would not activate the ice dispense but only occasionally. the water dispsnse worked fine. now it stopped working.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just tell me what to do. Don't forget what i said in the first message regarding the load that trying to use the panel seems to place on the system.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so that was the next question i was going to ask whether the water worked. what you need to check is the voltage to the dispenser control. this pops off if you pry from the bottom. usually there are little slots for a flat head screwdriver. can you pop that off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the cover off and the panel laid down so i cann see the
back side of the panel

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay try testing for power to it. the voltage is DC volts. probably around 13vdc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is voltage to the panel because all the lights on it are lit. It will switch between functions such as between ice and crushed ice on the panel lights., but the functions don't work. when you push the lever to get ice or water is when the lights dim for a few seconds on the panel and the fan inside the unit turns off. five seconds later, lights go back bright and the fan turns back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

testing at power and ground or common shows 9.4 volts

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay. the problem is the main control board in the back of the refrigerator behind an 8X10 " cover. this board has transformers on it that run the fans and control. G.E. had to redesign the boards. heres a link to the control board. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/WR55X10942/0046/363?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=WR55X10942 this will fix the issue.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll go there. Do I r3eplace the board or what? remember, the problem started a week ago and was sporadic until ice and water stopped and stayed stopped.

Thanks,

Ben

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes replace the board I showed you above theres a link there to order it also. the board is on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8X10 " cover.