Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Jenn-air cooktop (JED8230ADB) & require a hotplate

We have a Jenn-air cooktop (JED8230ADB) & require a hotplate cartridge for it.

1. - what are the differences [positives & negatives] between a Halogen (JEA8130ADB)
& a Radiant (JEA8120ADB) Cooktop Cartridge?
2. - Is one hotter than the other?
3. - does one require more wattage than the other?
4. - what are the wattages each require?

Ross Gange [email protected]
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

1 & 2. halogen burners get hotter and heat up quicker. They are also more engergy efficient. The only thing that mades a radiant burner positive is that it's a bit more reliable (doesn't break as often) and the cost is generally cheaper to repair or replace.

3 & 4. The radient element will draw 3,000 watts between the two burners and the halogen burner cartridge will draw 3,000 watts---so it's the same.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Type of Appliance = Jenn-Air JED8230ADB Cooktop.

we live in Australia & bought the Cooktop as a 240volt appliance (as per the specifications on Official website of Jenn-air) but our electrician advises it will not work on 240v & will need a 240v to 110v transformer to make it work.

On the Jenn-Air website -jennair.com/flash. then add: cmd?/#/product/JED8230ADS/

you will see under Cooktops section - the 30" Designer Line Modular Electric Downdraft Cooktop JED8230ADS (same as JED8230ADB - just a colour difference) it clearly says under specifications 40amp, 60hz & 240volt.

Q #1 - What is the 60hz actually mean in relation to 240v or 110v?

Q#2 - is the JED8230ADB (the model we have) to be run on 240v or 110v?

Q #3 - is the cartridge JEA8130ADB & JEA8120ADB positively compatable with the JED8230ADB unit?

Jenn-Air used to be in Australia but now they do not supply!

60 Hz doesn't affect voltage. 60 Hz is the frequency of the voltage---but the only thing this will cause problems with is your time or your control board if you have not, not the heating of the appliance.

And both of the cartridges MUST be used with 240 volts, you can not run it with 110 volts.

And yes, both JEA8130ADB & JEA8120ADB are compatable with the JED8230ADB
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

---but the only thing this will cause problems with is your time or your control board if you have not, not the heating of the appliance.

I do not quite understand this part of your answer!

- ? ...your time..

- ? ...or your control board.. What is a control board?

- ? ...not the heating of the appliance?

Sorry but I feel USA terms are a little different to Aussie terms!

The only problem 50 Hz can cause, would be that your clock will not keep time---or the control board (display board) may not work at all.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You have commented on 50hz - it is actually 6ohz.

Correct. I'm not sure why you were mentioning the cartridges being 60 Hz unless you were planning on connecting it to a power supply that has 50 Hz so I was just letting you know what would happen if you did.

If you're connectiong it to a power supply with 60 Hz and 240 volts then you won't have any problem.s
I see this question is still open and you haven't rated me, is there anything else I can help you with today?