How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I have a GE Profile french door refrigerator (freezer

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a GE Profile french door refrigerator (freezer on bottom). The model # XXXXX XXXXX The is water collecting in the bottom drawer from the back. I believe I have a clogged defrost drain and would like to try to clear it myself before I call in a repairman. I am fairly handy but I don't know where it is to access it. Is it worth a try to do it myself or does it sound like a more serious issue to you?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, if your handy and have some tools you can do this yourself. the defrost drain is in the freezer behind the back wall. you need to empty the freezer and remove the ice maker if this has one and then the back panel. (inside the freezer) the drain is # XXXXX on this diagram. its in the middle under the evaporator coils, (it will probably be covered in ice) take boiling water and pour it over the ice until all the ice melts and this drains freely. this is a common issue and a poor design. in most cases once you clear it this doesn't happen again. I hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this advice for my model? The freezer is a drawer on the bottom and the water collection is above it in the refrigerator. Could the water be backed up all the way to the refrigerator?

the water is in the refrigerator section ? sorry. let me take a look. you have a defrost drain in the refrigerator section also. this is behind the back wall in that section # XXXXX is the defrost pan for that, sorry I misunderstood. you have to remove number 98 to get to that section. hope these diagrams help.
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you