Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Amana refrigerator Mod#SRD25S5W has almost stopped cooling

My Amana refrigerator Mod#SRD25S5W has almost stopped cooling over the last three days (both freezer and fridge). It runs continuously and fan and motor appear to sound normal. There was no frost yesterday when I removed back panel in the freezer, but today there is some frost on one corner of the coil. Any ideas?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you remove the lower back panel inside the freezer, what do the silver coils look like? Is that the part you're saying that the frost is building up in just one corner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, frost is building up acroos the top loop of the coil

. rest of coil is clean.

OK then that's not good. Pull the refrigerator forward and make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If the fan is running then you'll need a technician because you either have a freon leak or the compressor is bad. Both issues are expensive ($350-550) and require a licensed technician to repair.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, fan is running and blowing cool air. So just to confirm, it is probably compressor or coolant leak. (Is this part of the "closed loop" or "sealed" system?

Yes, it is part of the sealed system. Both the compressor and a freon leak would be part of the sealed system.