Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The oven in my Maytag electric glass-top range (purchased new

Customer Question

The oven in my Maytag electric glass-top range (purchased new 2005) has stopped working. The broiler and stove-top still work fine. I'm assuming the oven electrical elements need replacing. Is this something I can do myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model MER57755QAW

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so chances are the bake element is just bad since the broiler still works. If you have a multimeter you can pull the oven out and remove the back panel to locate the bake element wires that connect to the element below the floor. Unplug the oven and disconnect the wires to the element. Test resistance through the element and if it's open, replace the elmeent. If you don't have a multimeter, just replace the element as that will likely fix the problem. If the element isn't the issue, that would mean the relay on the display control board is shorted and the display control board would need to be ordered and replaced to fix the problem. Below is a link to the element you'll need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When we remove the back, we see lots of wires, but have no idea which wires lead to the back element. We cannot see where the element is. What do you mean by the element "below the floor"?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem. You can't see the bake element in your oven no? That's because the floor over top of it covers it. You can remove all the racks inside the oven and remove the floor to expose the element if you'd like. The wires going to this element will line up directly behind the oven where the element goes through the back wall (again, below the floor so remove the floor if you need a better idea of what you're looking for).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, we found the element. It's actually cracked 'open' (?) along one of it's edges. Our friend is coming over with a multimeter, but it seems obvious we'll need to replace the element. Thank you for the link to order a new one.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, and yes---this element fails more than most so I would just replace it and if you see that it's damaged, that should fix the problem.