Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

whirlpool refridrerator; 7years old; freezer on top, refridge

whirlpool refridrerator; 7years old; freezer on top, refridge lowere level.

the problem is daily the water accumulates under the veg draws and must be dried out or water will flow over onto kitchen floor. the ice machine isn't hooked up and the temp gages work properly. the refidge doors are not open any long periods.

Do you have any idea why water is suddenly acumulating after all these years?

Tom Hoye
Wheaton Ill
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for the clear explanation. we're ready to give that a try but we are going to need a couple of days to coordinate when we can evacuate the refrige since three people share it and also pick up a piece of copper wire. Is there a way to keep this order active so we can finish evaluation when were done with the job ?

The question stays open all the time regardless of when you rate me. I do not get credit for helping you if you don't rate me so I definitely encourage you to rate me now in case you forget later, but that is up to you. That being said, you can still come back and ask follow-up questions if needed at any time.