The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Hello, My Amana regrigerator M/N ASD2626HEQ if freezing almost

My Amana regrigerator M/N ASD2626HEQ if freezing almost all of the food in the refridgerator section. It seem as if the compressor is running too much...any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
You have a thermostat or a thermistor that has failed.
Please give me a bit to look up the parts and service information for you.
Please understand that I am not the worlds fastest typer and it can take up to 15 minuets to gather the information you need and type it all up. I may also be working with multiple customers and that also can delay my reply to you.
Rest assured I will not leave you hanging. If you like reply to me and ask how much longer I will be. I'll be happy to let you know. Relisting your question will not get you a faster reply. Please bear with me and I promise to type as fast as my fingers can find the keys.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds good

The thermistor is the failed part. It is located in the light housing towards the top of the refrigerator compartment. Open the light housing and you will see it . Remove and replace the thermistor and th eunit will work properly again.
The thermistor is what tells the controls that the unit has reached the desired temperature and turns the compressor off.
Please click here to order a new thermistor.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with your problem. If you need further information please reply to me and I will be happy to assist you further.
If you have no further questions please select a positive rating at this time. This will not close your question, or prevent you from asking follow up questions. All it does is make sure that I receive credit for my work. Your satisfaction is still 100% guaranteed. If for any reason you do not see the rating box or do not receive an e-mail confirmation that your rating processed please let me know.

**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU RATE**
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

The thermistor arrived today so I decided to install it after I arrived home from work. I actually found it not behind the lights but nex to the little motor that controls a flap which lets cold air in from the freezer.

The old thermister measured 10.8k ohms at room temperature the same as the new one. I installed it anyway. I am not convinced this will solve my problem. The compressor seems to run all the time. All the food in the fridge section is rock hard! Might there be another problem? What controls the compressor how about a stuck relay?

Sorry for the delay replying. I had to go out of town yesterday.

What you will need to do is run the on board diagnostics. This will point you to the failed component. It could be a bad control board, defrost thermostat, damper, or as you suspect a bad relay. The relay in this case is part of the main board though.

To run the diagnostics you will need a copy of the service manual. Please click here to download a copy.

Go to page 44 and run the service tests. They will point you to the failed compoonent.

The access and repair information is also included in the manual.

If you have any questions please let me know. I will be happy to assist you further if needed.

**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU RATE**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances