Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have an LG front load washing machine. It smells like mold.

I have an LG front load washing machine. It smells like mold. There is black mold on the front rubber gasket, if that is what it is called. I tried putting bleach on it and running it through a cycle. I wonder if I should let the bleach set on it for a long time? I have used commercial washing machine cleaners and they have done no good even if I used it three times in a row. What can I do? I also used a towel to wipe inside the gasket and it had black on it when I was done.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

It will never come clean it is stained. The only thing you can do is have the seal replaced. Then after each use make sure the seal is good and dry and also leave the door open a bit.

If this has been helpful please leave apositive rating. Thank you.Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't really care about the stain, but can I get rid of the odor without getting rid of the stain?

Have you used a product called afresh It is designed to remove odors from front loading machines.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I used another product that I got on Amazon which I can't recall the name of. It doesn't seem to be in existence anymore. I have now been using Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. It has Oxygen Bleach in it. As I also said, I have tried regular clorox bleach by just pouring it in the tub around the gasket. Is afresh different than the things I have tried?

Yes it is different. It was designed for exactly this problem. You can get it from your local appliance parts store or some grocery stores may carry it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will try it.

You are welcome.