Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL SIDE BY SIDE (MODEL GD5SHAX MT) (SERIAL

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL SIDE BY SIDE (MODEL GD5SHAX MT) (SERIAL # XXXXX)
THE WATER DISPENSER WILL NOT WORK. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

does the ice come out when this is set to ice ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ice dispenser works. Water dispenser does not.

okay, first thing you need to do is pull the refrigerator away from the wall and go behind. have someone push for water. listen and see if the valve buzzes, also you can put your hand on the waterline where it connects to the refrigerator and usually feel it vibrate. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, be right back

okay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It does not vibrate or buzz

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,Are you still with me?
okay this means the valve is bad, this valve has two sides. one for the ice and one for the water in the door. two different electronic solenoids on it. if this is not buzzing it means the valve on the water side has failed. if you have a volt meter you can check the voltage to the water side but I'm fairly certain its bad. this valve is located where the waterline from the house connects. heres a link where you can order this. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/2255457/0046/106/M odel-GD5SHAXMT00/1198/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=W0310106&diagramPageId=00012&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=GD5SHAXMT00&subCompDesc=Icemaker%20parts,%20parts%20not%20illustrated&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=SIDE-BY-SIDE-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod= hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where is this valve located? Is it visable?

follow the line from your house to the back of the refrigerator. you have to remove the cover in the back to see it.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We had to have a serviceman come look at the refrigerator. It was not what you said it was. It was the bracket that holds the micro switch. It was broken.