Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore (top load) washer. It suddenly stopped spinning

I have a kenmore (top load) washer. It suddenly stopped spinning and draining. What is likely the problem. The machine is approximately 12 yr. old.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the timer just stop right before the drain and spin cycle? It wouldn't even advance to the end and just skip over the spin cycle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The timer stops at the spin cycle--doesn't skip over and continue on.

OK perfect, thank you. This is a common problem and it means that your lid switch is bad and doesn't think that your lid is shut. It will stop the washer from advancing for safety reasons if it doesn't think the lid is shut. You'll want to order and replace the lid switch to fix the issue. Below is a link to a video you can watch to see how to take the washer apart because you'll need to remove the entire outer shell to replace the lid switch.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.