Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have a Maytag dishwasher, Model DWU9200AAX. I am trying

I have a Maytag dishwasher, Model DWU9200AAX. I am trying to remove the upper discharge housing (part #11 of Pump/Motor diagram in parts manual for DWU9200). I have removed all parts and screws up to the point where it seems like I should be able to just lift the discharge housing up and off, but it won't come off. Other postings have implied that I need to remove the entire pump assembly, but that doesn't make sense. I just want to clean whatever crud is located under the housing and on top of the Support Filter (part #16 of parts manual). Can the upper discharge housing be removed? When I lift it up, its motion is stopped as if it is hitting a retaining flange or something.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Once the bolts are removed it just lifts off. There is nothing else holding it. | Pump & Motor replacement parts for Maytag DWU9200AAX Dishwasher - Undercounter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But mine isn't lifting straight off - it is stopping as if there is another bolt or something holding it. Should I try to "force it"? I agree that it seems as if it should lift, but it sure isn't. I can pull it up about 1 inch, and then it stops - hits a wall, so to speak. It sure feels like it is on a bolt, which doesn't make sense given what I see on the parts list. Any suggestions?

Ya there is nothing holding it try to give it a twist back and forth while lifting it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Going on faith that it wouldn't break, I wiggled and jiggled and pried until it finally did pop off. Turns out there was so much junk (calcium?, other stuff) built up that the housing was essentially glued to the filter piece it nestles in to.

I appreciate your help.

You are welcome. Glad you got it off sometimes they get pretty gummed up.