Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore dryer that will turn on but will not stay

I have a kenmore dryer that will turn on but will not stay on unless I hold the start button on?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I just have two questions for you.

1. Can I get the model number? It should be located on a sticker inside the doorway and can be seen if you open the door.

2. If you press and hold the start button, does the dryer heat if you open the door up 1 minute later?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

76974130 69741
if I hold the button it heats up but with in 1 min it will shut off completly it smells like some thing is burning . if I wait 2 min the dryer will start again but only with the start button being held on

OK so if the dryer runs when you hold the button, this means that the motor itself is starting to fail and once the start winding is disengaged, the motor can't continue to run. There isn't much you can do but to order and replace the entire motor if you wanted to fix the issue. If you're handy, you can do this yourself, but the part will cost about $130 with parts and shipping. The unit is getting older now and I'm not sure it's worth repairing for that kind of money, but that decision is for you to make. Below is a link to the motor you'd need to order for your model.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.