Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool microwave works in every way EXCEPT it will not

My Whirlpool microwave works in every way EXCEPT it will not heat up the food. The turntable works, the control panel works, the timer works etc. Is it worth reparing? If so...what went out? Can I repair it myself or does it take a technician?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I figured it was the magnetron that probably went out. That's a no brainer. Is that part easy to replace or do I need a technician? Does it "snap in " as a replacement part? If I need a technician then I might as well get a new unit.

It's not easy to replace at all actually. The entire microwave must be un-installed and then all the screws going into the outer shell need to be unscrewed. From there you remove the outer shell and you can see the magnetron mounted behind the control panel area. It can be done by yourself but it will take a few hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm handy at doing repairs like this myself but is there any degree of "expertise" needed to replace the magnetron? Once I get into the back of the microwave....does that part just pop out & snap back into place with connectors at the end of the wires or are special tools required to do the job?

You will likely need special tools. I'm not 100% positive on the screws that hold the magnetron because they change them up all the time, but you could need a size T20 safety torxbit screwdriver tor emove the screws mounting the magnetron.