JCCARVER, appliance doctor
Experience:  25 years experience

microwave amv1160vaw-0 after using the kitchen timer function

microwave amv1160vaw-0 after using the kitchen timer function on my unit, I can;t get it to cook. the unit runs and the display indicates cook but it does not heat.

John Borner email Customer
If everything is working other than the microwave won't heat then you need to replace the magnetron.

Above is a link to purchase the part and a diagram with the magnetron being #16
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am just a bit concerned about your answer. I do all my own work on these things and have to be sure that is the problem before I spend 100.00 for the part. Is there any way to check the part?

The magnetron is what controls the heating of a microwave. If everything else works normally besides heating the food this is the cause of it.

Discharge the microwave's capacitor. Unplug the microwave, then touch one end of the screwdriver to one of the chassis terminals and slowly slide it to the second chassis terminal. Hold the screwdriver at the second chassis terminal for a few seconds. Expect to hear a popping noise.

Use the screwdriver in the same manner to create a short-circuit between the capacitor terminals and the chassis.

Identify the magnetron and then place masking tape on each wire and label it. Record on the masking tape where each wire goes on the magnetron.

Touch each probe on the ohmmeter to the terminals on the magnetron, while having the ohmmeter set on the lowest resistance scale. Each probe touches one terminal at a time. Note that the readings on your ohmmeter for each probe should be less than 1 ohm.

Touch one of the ohmmeter's probes to a magnetron's terminal, while at the same time touching the other probe to the magnetron's metal housing. This time, though, have the ohmmeter set to the highest resistance scale. Do not allow the probes to touch one another. Record the reading from the ohmmeter--which should be infinity, if the magnetron works.