Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My ge profile dishwasher makes a very loud banging noise when

Customer Question

My ge profile dishwasher makes a very loud banging noise when turned on.
Nothing is blocking the parts that rotate, nothing is stuck anywhere I can see.
It does sound as if something is to high and is being hit on every rotation of
the blades.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you want to do is stop one arm at a time so you can see which arm is causing the noise. Just stick something through the basket like a large wooden spoon or something, then start the cycle and see if the dishwasher still make noise. If so, then try stopping the next wash arm to see if the noise goes away.

Once you have narrowed down which arm is making the noise, spin it by hand and see if it will make that same noise. If so, either remove the blockage or replace the wash arm. Most likely you will not get a noise when you spin it by hand and that's because a common problem with GE dishwashers is that the inner door liner warps slightly and the wash arm hits the inner door liner when the door is shut. Try to bow the inner door back in and heat it with a hair dryer. If you can't get it to form back correctly, you may need to order and replace the inner door liner.