Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have just acquired a Frigidaire Gallery series HE Washer

Customer Question

I have just acquired a Frigidaire Gallery series HE Washer and Dryer from a friend. Everything seemed OK, but the washer doesn't spin in the final cycle. I tried rebalancing the machine, reducing the size of the load... no change.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you watch the drum when the washer should spin, what does it do? Does it just drain and shut off? Does the tub just continue to go back and forth? Does it spin one directly but just slowly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It goes back and forth during the rinse cycle; when it engages the final spin cycle the drum does not move at all.

I set the load back in place and configured the washer to drain & spin only. The drum did not budge.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If the drum isn't moving at all, this actually means that your lood latch is failing. Do make sure you can open the door and spin the inside tub by hand. If so, then you need to order and replace the door latch assembly behind the front panel. I know the door is locking, but there is a PTC sensor built into the latch assembly and if it doesn't give a good reading to the motor control board, it will not even attempt to spin the cycle if the sensor doesn't give a good reading. Just replace the latch assembly and you should be good to go again.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this something I can repair myself with the existing part, or do I need to have a new part to install?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You need to have a new part unfortunately. If you're handy, you can replace this part yourself however.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it common that the latch is working fine for every other cycle but won't work for the final spin? Seems strange...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I explained that already when I said:

Quote:

I know the door is locking, but there is a PTC sensor built into the latch assembly and if it doesn't give a good reading to the motor control board, it will not even attempt to spin the cycle if the sensor doesn't give a good reading.

I know it sounds weird, but that is just a very common way for this washer to fail.