FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen

Hi, I have a GE Monogram refrigerator/bottom freezer model

Customer Question

Hi, I have a GE Monogram refrigerator/bottom freezer model ZIC360NRCLH serial # XXXXX The problem I have is that the temp setting for the refrigerator is set at 34 degrees the controls shows the temp being 34 degrees but the actual temp is about 4 degrees higher than what the display says. Also where is the temp sensor on the refrigerator located? Thanks

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

The thermisters are located on the side wall of the unit. Look at this diagram part #237...they are located on the side panel in the freezer and refrigerator section. If you are trying to measure the temperature with a thermometer you may not get an acurate reading unless you have a good thermometer and have the probe in a glass of water that has been in the unit for at least 24hrs..

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The diagram does not show the exact location, are they on the inside or outside panel of the refrigerator. Seen that diagram before and it does not help. Do you have a solution for this problem.The temp was measured with an accurate thermometer. Thanks.

You have to look on the side panel inside the refrigerator. Open the refrigerator door look on the left hand side panel. The sensor is behind a small oval shaped vent, it is about 2" in size, you can see it through the louvers on the cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a solution for this problem.The temp was measured with an accurate thermometer. Thanks.

,
You would have to check the thermister with an ohm meter to see what resistance it is at.

3.2K ohms is 35 degrees

2.6K ohms is 40 degrees.

So if the thermister ohms out aorund 3.1-3.3K ohms I would say your thermometer is off. If it measures closer to 2.6-2.8K ohms then I would say you have a bad control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a diagnostic mode or a technical service guide for this refrigerator. Thanks.

I will Opt out and see if another tech has a service manual or the diagnostic mode for your unit. I do not have it.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

There is not a technical service guide that we as techs can hand out to customers. Asking someone to do so is asking someone to break the law, also to break the agreement made with GE as a warranty service technician. That information is to quote GE........"GE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION–NOT FOR PUBLIC DISCLOSURE" Sorry we cannot give that out.

Andy is correct, if the display reading is wrong the temperature sensor is bad and needs to be replaced, the method of testing is correct. If you have questions please ask.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no oval vents on the left side of the refrigerator, there are two oval vents about 2" in size on the back of the refrigerator but there is nothing inside of them. There is only a 3/8" hole behind the vent covers. I'm trying to trouble shoot this problem, I don't want to be a parts replacer, so please send me answers with how to trouble shoot this problem not just tell me to replace parts.
Thank you.
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
HI thanks for choosing Just Answer, if the digital read out reads the set temp then your sensor is fine, there is a 15 min delay on all temperatures on the display which means you will never read the same temp on the display as thermometer. Also unless your thermometer was submersed in water like the other tech said it will not read correct temp as it will only be reading air temperature after you open the door the air temp can jump as much as 10 degrees in a few seconds, very inaccurate way of measuring. I've never changed a bad refrigerator sensor in this model. If your food is cold I would not worry in the least.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please read my first questions, there is a 4 degree difference between the actual temperature and the set/display temperature after 24 plus hours. GE does not design these expensive refrigerator in a way if food is cold enough not to worry about it, if that was the case there would not be a display and temperature settings. I'm trying to resolve a problem with this refrigerator not answers to just get by and not worry about it I would like to get a professional answer for this problem prior to calling a GE Monogram tech.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
I happen to have information directly from GE, and have worked on 100's of these, as I said the display is DELAYED 15 min sometimes longer, to keep worrying customers from thinking that have a problem with the refrigerator, being such you CANNOT check temperature against the display it will never be the same. Not ever. The first tech stated you can check OHMS on the sensor to see if its correct that is the only way to test the sensor, I've never had a sensor read the correct temp up top and actually have a problem with the sensor. And i've also never replaced a bad sensor as the one you are claiming is wrong. Thats out of 100's upon 100's of monograms. You either have a faulty thermometer, or are not checking correctly. And i did read your previous posts. Also the main control board of the refrigerator averages temperatures between 2 different sensors not just one, like i said these are fairly complicated and sticking a thermometer in there and having it read a different temp is not even close to being an accurate way of testing, It has 3 sensors in the refrigerator alone, along with another 2 in the freezer, EVEN when you set the temp to 34, Its not looking for 34 the computer looks for an average temp of most likely 33 between top and bottom and sensors and will display 34 when it reaches the average of 33, if that sounds confusing its because its a very complicated algorithm and i've dumbed it down significantly, and are TONS of factors as to why the computer will open or close the damper to that side. Most likely your thermometer is not a good one and is off 4 degrees. I dont give answers to just get by, i give accurate as can be with information given, If you have a problem with that refrigerator its not the sensor. If you think the temperature is too high then i would need to know where your actually taking the temp what shelf if its in water or not, how long you left it, but being in the business for a very long time I for one have never taken temps this way and there is no need, the sensor can easily be checked with a meter, which the first tech explained, but checking the sensor is not as easy as comparing the reading to the temp on the display because even though like is said the board averages temperatures it does not display anything at all concerning what it reads from sensors, its all averaged out adjusted and then delayed, so 34 means nothing on your display, it also doesnt mean your sensor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya your right my brand new Fluke thermometer is bad just like the one I was testing with, that showed the same temperatures. When any liquid is in the refrigerator for 24 hours plus is at 38 to 40 degrees when the refrigerator is set at 34 degrees thats the lowest setting, the display shows the temperature being 34 to 35 degrees, and I did not have this problem six months ago. From your answer this is normal?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
where in the refrigerator are you putting the water? what i'm saying is the sensor is not bad, maybe something else is wrong but its not the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried the top and bottom selves, same result. This same problem exist in the freezer.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
The freezer has 2 separate sensors, your saying the same problem exists in 2 different compartments, is your food not cold enough? I dont know how else to explain this, the display temp says 34, no where in the manual does it say the refrigerator will get to 34, what i'm saying is even though its set to 34 your thermometer might not read 34, it would be more accurate to say you have it set to the coldest setting, I know this is an expensive fridge and you would assume if it says 34 that it would be 34 but thats not how it works, this only works on commercial refrigerators residential are not designed that way for several reasons, are you sure the probe you have is designed to be submerged in water? Out of the 100's i've fixed i've never had one read the set the temp and actually have a problem. Not once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes food and drinks are not cold enough the way they should be when the refrigerator setting is set to the lowest setting, ice cream in the freezer is not hard, its in the mushy side when its set at 0 degrees. Six months ago this refrigerator did not ave this problem.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Is the freezer reading the set temp what are your freezer temps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there is a 6 to 7 degree difference.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me exact temps of freezer? and how old is your refrigerator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seven years old, the freezer is set at zero, the display shows 5 and actual temp is 11 degrees. I have had read the temp in the freezer as high as 36 degrees when it was set at 0 degrees. I know that could of been the auto defrost causing that, should it get that high when its on auto defrost?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

It can but would've been waaaaaay more helpful if you had mentioned that the freezer was showing 5 degrees when set to 0, this is a dead give a way has nothing to do with sensors in the refrigerator compartment, sounds like you might have dirty coils or a bad condenser fan, if you look up above the fridge in behind the top service panel, you will see coils towards the back and a fan, behind the compressor, most likely you will have dust build up on the coils and will need cleaned gently with a brush, if they are not dirty make sure the fan is running thats right next to the coils, i believe you will find a problem in there. Also if you look all the way in the back of the freezer compartment do you notice any frost on the back wall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did clean the coil, they were not that dirty and the fan is running. That was one of the first things I did and it did not help. Is there a way to tell is the compressor is bad.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

If compressor was bad would be way higher than that in there, its possible you got a freon leak but that would take some equipment and probably a service tech out, what about frost on the back wall inside the freezer notice any in there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frost

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

Is the compessor running right now ? Is it abnormally hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes its running, it is very warm and at times it sounds like there is running liquid thru the refrigerator.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

Something isnt adding up, if the freezer is +5 this thing should run until it gets to 0, if the compessor is warm is most likely is not low on freon, the fan that you said was running up top, how quickly was it running, was it turning really slow ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor is very warm to hot, the fan is running fairly fast.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
This still sounds like your coils are dirty which side of the coils did you clean? should be on the very backside if that was first time you cleaned them in 7 years they would be fairly dirty, sounds like you didnt clean the correct spot, it would be aaaaaaal the way in the back and facing the wall almost where you cant see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cleaned them on the opposite side of the fan, the side where the water filter is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are two refrigeration lines going down the back of the refrigerator, should one of the lines be very cold because its not.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Sorry having computer trouble no none of these should be cold, from what your telling me everything sounds normal, its possible the compressor is shutting down off and on, but that would be hard to verify without some refrigeration specialty tools, you might need to have a tech come out with proper tools to verify condition of sealed system, from what your telling me this is not a freon leak i would lean more towards an electronic problem such as a bad inverter or main board. Does the compressor ever stop running for long periods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the sealed system? I don't think the compressor stops working, but not 100% sure.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
This is the freon pipes and all that, if you had a leak or restriction things like that, but sounds like you dont have any of that, if the compressor is hot what that means is there is heat coming from the freezer and being transferred to the compressor as it should be, if its not getting rid of the heat which is what condenser coils do that you cleaned then the freon going back into the freezer will be slightly less efficient than normal which could cause +5 to +10 degree that your seeing but your saying the coils are not dirty and fan is running this leaves no reason for it not to remove the heat from the coils, without being there in person i would have trouble steering you any further without some major equipment checks to dig deeper. which only a certified tech would have.
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still trying to locate the thermisters in the refrigerator and freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does any body know where the thermisters are in this refrigerator, still having problem with the refrigerator. I would like to check the thermister to make sure the have the proper resistance.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Your control board is located by the compressor I believe. The control board is the same set up as the side-by-side fridge. Follow this you tube video to check the thermistors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxOqMjFtr4

Follow this video on checking the thermistors, very good video! Please let me know if I was able to assist you, or if you need further information....thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Refrigerator thermistor is located behind #1513, this is why you can't see it. You have to remove those 2 screws, then you will see it behind its' cover. The thermistor is a white bulb with 2 white wires connected to it. I hope this confirms what you are looking for. Please let me know if I have been of assistance, and if I can help you further....thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did the information that I issued help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no #1513 in this refrigerator. I looked on the sides and back there in nothing, the only thing there is similar to the #1513 are two small vents that are on the back of the refrigerator behind the the vents is a 3/8" hole it seems that these vents are connected with the duck work coming from the freezer to the damper on the refrigerator cold air comes out the holes. Any other ideas where the thermistors might be? Thanks

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If the model# you post is the correct model#, that cover is somewhere on the fridge wall, ceiling, floor, ect. The diagram shows it to be there. That is the only thing that I can go by. You can still test them by the video I post for you. Those covers may be located in a corner. I can faintly remember working with them before. You may have to pull shelves and drawer to locate the cover. Blow the image up to get a better idea of what the thermistor cover #1513 looks like. There is an image of it on the net, or I would post it for you....sorry. This is about as far as I can help you with find the thermistor. I know this is silly, but the diagram show them to be there, and behind that cover, so that is the only information that I am able to give for the search of the thermistors. I don't know if this helps, but the best I can do with the information I have.